Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Mastakilla Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm
Just moved to the 2000 from previously owning an XL. The zone chopping is a bit different. Is it possible to do the 16 slices like you can on the XL? I haven't found where u can change the number of zones.

Also, is there a way to delete characters when naming things? There's gotta be a better way than scrolling through all the characters and setting them to the blank letter. Probably missing something obvious here.
By BasquiatDeLaMPC Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:09 am
Mastakilla wrote:Just moved to the 2000 from previously owning an XL. The zone chopping is a bit different. Is it possible to do the 16 slices like you can on the XL? I haven't found where u can change the number of zones.

Also, is there a way to delete characters when naming things? There's gotta be a better way than scrolling through all the characters and setting them to the blank letter. Probably missing something obvious here.

I just got my first MPC a few days ago, it's a 2000 also. From what I've read in the manual, there was something in the first two chapters about naming things, might wanna check that out. You can download the manual online here:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc2000 (Under "Docs & Downloads")

As for the 16 slices, that sounds like the XL's auto slice feature. I'm not sure if that's what your talking about, but if it is, the 2000 doesn't have that. I'm really sure about this. With the 2000, it's all manual chopping. Might wanna check in with someone else though.
By Harmoncj Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm
Mastakilla wrote:Just moved to the 2000 from previously owning an XL. The zone chopping is a bit different. Is it possible to do the 16 slices like you can on the XL? I haven't found where u can change the number of zones.

No 16 zones. 'Export zone as new sample' gets the job done.

Mastakilla wrote:Also, is there a way to delete characters when naming things? There's gotta be a better way than scrolling through all the characters and setting them to the blank letter. Probably missing something obvious here.

I forget whic but one of the pad bank / 16 levels /Full level keys makes a blank character
By tapedeck Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm
i've also found that simply spinning the wheel really fast kind of 'defaults' to blank character.
now that is with the xl wheel, and i know the classic is supposedly different.
still worth a shot - i've gotten pretty damn fast on it.
By tapedeck Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm
let me take this opportunity to remind yall to keep your filenames 8 characters or less - including space.
By m56p87 Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43 pm
TreCipher617 wrote:there is a way to chop up a sample automatically on the 2k, i just forget how to do it but i used to do it all the time

I'm guessing it was the 'sample start tied to 16 level velocity' trick?
By mr_debauch Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 pm
one trick also is in trim ... before going to zone and creating your new samples like mentioned above... (which IMO is better than auto chop on the xl) .. rename the original sample you plan on taking several pieces from. That way when you make the new samples you wont have to rename the entire pieces.. just adjust the end of the name. Much quicker.. naming stuff kills the workflow.
By jimmyklane Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 pm
Hey everyone!

My MPC 2000(classic) is my first that I've owned and dug into for more than one-shots. My question revolves around the zone edit.

Say I've got a loop: Kick-Snare---Ka-Kick,Kick-Snare.

If I choose to edit in zones, I've been moving start and end times onto each transient/hit and saving to a new sample.

Is this the best way to chop a loop on the 2kClassic? I DO know the velocity to SampleStart method, but it NEVER works out the way I need it to.

I guess I'm asking if its SUPPOSED to be this time-intensive? I always seem to get a nicer vibe with the MPC, as its pretty much ears only(that little screen is useless for detail work) as opposed to Maschine where I cut to perfect margins.

I appreciate your help!
By Harmoncj Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 pm
jimmyklane wrote:Hey everyone!

My MPC 2000(classic) is my first that I've owned and dug into for more than one-shots. My question revolves around the zone edit.

Say I've got a loop: Kick-Snare---Ka-Kick,Kick-Snare.

If I choose to edit in zones, I've been moving start and end times onto each transient/hit and saving to a new sample.

Is this the best way to chop a loop on the 2kClassic?

I think thats the right idea only I wouldn't bother setting the the end point in zone screen. Even If you found the perfect endpoint for a chop in zone screen, and then exported to a new sample, the playback is missing a little bit of the tail. What I like to do is just set a generous "fixed" zone length, and just focus on the start points for each chop, After that I get lazy but I figure I can always fix the end points later :roll:

also I thought what mr_debauch added is really good idea, I tend to lose track of what chop I'm on.
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm
and in the trim screen push open window to chop in better detail.

for a drum loop like that.. I like putting the start point of the first drum hit in.. then the endpoint I put at the start of the next hit.. then I make new sample and type that endpoint number into the start point for the next chop. it goes quick once you got the flow down.
By jimmyklane Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm
mr_debauch wrote:and in the trim screen push open window to chop in better detail.

for a drum loop like that.. I like putting the start point of the first drum hit in.. then the endpoint I put at the start of the next hit.. then I make new sample and type that endpoint number into the start point for the next chop. it goes quick once you got the flow down.

Yeah, I know about open window... one of the first things I did was hit O.W on every field in every screen to see what it did. Thank you though!

I've tried what you're doing: #1 start 20000, end 40000...#2 start 40001, end -------
and so on and so forth... it wasn't all that accurate for the loop I was working with...

I like the idea of just chopping starts and doing each endpoint as its own sample. That should work, thanks!