Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Star One Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 am
This is not a guarantee it will help at all. Not a fix. Helped me.

This actually worked for me. After being heart broken to screen lines showing up in the post, lots of reading lead to hearing it was because of glue coming loose on the wires and disconnecting from the screen as they heat up.

So I left my MPC off for a day. Set this fan behind it, pointed up at the screen (Screen tiled fully).

And look at this..

Not a fix really, but I think it will buy me time to use it. If it holds out this way, I can at least use it without fear of going blank in the near future. Tied me over till I can afford a 2500, or a replacement screen is developed. Which ever comes first.

Being that I was reluctant to even have it on. Delivered and powered up had 2 lines. Over time using it, maybe a few hours, 3 lines.

I think it's worth a shot. You can get them, they are small and all metal (metal case and blades) made by a company PMX (4" PMX Mini High Velocity Fan Model HVRA-4A).

However it is a mystery if this even did it. Perhaps the lines just magically went away and was coincidence. After using the unit 4 hours straight with the fan, no lines.

End of story, it's an inexpensive option. Just like a laptop that overheats, and the GPU lifts off the motherboard, you get a cooling pad for the bottom. I felt perhaps it could be the same ting.

Only time will tell if this really works and for how long. Results realistically will be different for everyone.

Hope this can help ease some minds as it did mine (IF it helps -- Not getting hopes up here)
By JVC Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 pm
I think it is a good idea. Since the LCD screen is less likely to develop issue when it is not overheated, I think you can extend life of the LCD screen. I don't know how effective it is, but it cannot hurt.

I was thinking about something similar idea, like using CPU fan on XL, but I thought it looked silly, and I wouldn't like the noise.
I've made a habit of turning off XL when I'm not using, or not leave it on over night.
By JUKE 179r Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:42 pm
Glad to hear this worked for you. I never understood why people leave their gear on for days or weeks. If you lose that loving feeling for a track, just "constantly" save your projects and turn it off.
But to each, his own… :mrgreen:
By Star One Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:14 am
To this day, still no lines. So for me this far it's worked. Fans aren't all that loud. But everyone has a different threshold to noise so I understand. For me, the hum of a computer fan was never a bother. I saw mentioned was adding a cpu fan. One thing I plan on doing was slotting the case and fitting an internal fan. But I'm not even exactly sure how hot it can get inside so I have no rush to do it just yet.

Never will I understand that leaving equipment on for days on end.

Juacali as we say =) (do the best with whatever it takes to make it work -- also slang for condoms or a paper bag)

The lines were rough as I had first mentioned.

Still not understanding how they would go away after a fan. I do think it was coindence, but keeping them from reappearing I think I can safely credit to the fan.

If anyone else drops a fan behind their machine please reply with how it has helped if at all!

Hopefully be a bit of ease for all those who dont know of the issue and get one with lines. For me it was rough and a bit discouraging.
By Star One Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 am
Bump.

Because this is brought up so much.

Again, no guarantee. Still running fine.

To better explain, it's Arrhenius’ Law of Chemical Activity. Which technically states, the lifespan of a capacitor doubles for every 10 degree Celsius decrease in temperature, this however holds true to a LOT of components.

Fan those damn screens. If it buys you time, from one extra day of life, to an extra month or higher, you win.

And there it is :nod:
By Star One Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 am
I've heard that, also heard it has something to do with, or could be part of the problem is conductive glass. I'm not sure if its a glue.

SimonInAustrila most likely will say here soon. He knows more about the actual issue in detail then me.

Meatlocker idea is not bad either
:nod:
By distortedtekno Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:38 pm
From what I can tell, the problem with the 2K XL is that there are no air vents, like what the 2000 classic has. Also, another design flaw on the XL is that the power supply is located directly below the display. The heat from the power supply is shortening the lifespan of the display. I noticed the same problem with my 1000 when Akai sent me a B-Stock replacement in 2005. While the display on the 1000 is better than the 2k/2k XL, the heat from the power supply (also located right under the display) had caused the left-hand corner of the screen to look darker, showing signs of heat damage.

I know that some of you may be wondering why the 2000 classic has the same issue with the display, even though the power supply is located on the opposite side of the unit. After watching some youtube videos, I noticed a lot of people block the air vents of the 2000 classic by keeping floppy discs, audio interfaces, or anything else in the way. So this would also shorten the lifespan, combined with leaving the unit powered up all the time while not in use.
By JVC Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:12 pm
StarOne wrote:Modifying the screen housing to have an open back would help that.

I've been thinking about the same idea. The LCD screen unit on 2000XL has no air bent or holes.
By dripbeefs Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:00 pm
JVC wrote:
StarOne wrote:Modifying the screen housing to have an open back would help that.

I've been thinking about the same idea. The LCD screen unit on 2000XL has no air bent or holes.

yes but the 2000xl's screen is tilt how could be overheat?
By JVC Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 am
dripbeefs wrote:
JVC wrote:I've been thinking about the same idea. The LCD screen unit on 2000XL has no air bent or holes.

yes but the 2000xl's screen is tilt how could be overheat?

i don't think it is adequate to prevent overheating.
Last edited by JVC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.