Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By richie Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:53 am
It was already tested, and it works on the S2000 and S3000XL as well so that means it works.
By distortedtekno Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 pm
richie wrote:It was already tested, and it works on the S2000 and S3000XL as well so that means it works.

True. Maybe you're right about it not being terminated, as you mentioned before.
By katzenjammer Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:20 am
I tried both without power direct through db25 connect (no led light comes on) and then again with power from the molex connector: led lights up on the board but the mpc hangs on scsi ID 0 on boot up without any change. I'm going to try and change the scsi ID #. Will report back.
By katzenjammer Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:40 am
Hmm, getting errors trying to change the SCSI ID. Can anyone that has had a successful pairing with their Akai device share their settings for the card?
By richie Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:47 am
Did you remove that QA sticker on the bottom of it?
By SEMS Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:41 pm
richie wrote:It is supposed to be able to be run off the bus power, not requiring 5v. But I don't know how this would differ in an external configuration unless its terminated.

Is it possible your SCSI fuse is blown? That was suggested to me with the Artmix unit (the PowerMonster I think, the one that needs a BakMonolith). I tried powering it with a 5v adapter, but never got it to work at all. It wasn't a waste since I'm using it with my S3KXL, but still... I need something more modern for my 2K Classic.

So has anyone gotten this to work with a 2K Classic? Was doing a bit more research today and almost pulled the trigger until I remembered seeing this thread. If it's true as suggested that my SCSI fuse is blown, would the SCSI2SD still work with external power via the USB connector?
By richie Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:10 am
I'm curious to know if other SCSI devices work for him.

As far as I am aware, even if the SCSI fuse is blown, it should still work provided that it is terminated. I had to go through that with my S2800, it would not go past the checking for SCSI screen unless I had something connected and terminated.
By katzenjammer Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:55 pm
I've got a SCSI Zip drive that I use to load samples. So I don't think the fuse is blown. Is there an easy way to check? I also powered the SCSI2SD via USB and external power and it still won't read. I do get a flash of the LED when it goes through the initial SCSI port check but nothing ever sticks.
By richie Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:24 pm
So just to confirm, the SCSI zip drive is still working just fine?

Does the SCSI2SD software detect when you connect it to your computer? You should not require anything other than the USB to power it as usb us 3.3/5v anyway.
By SEMS Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:04 pm
I played around with the Artmix one a bit more yesterday & got it to work. The fault was user error... forgot to move a jumper.

So while that leaves me optimistic, katzenjammer's posts leave me a bit more pessimistic. As far as I know (tech heads please correct if wrong) but you can test if the SCSI fuse is broken by probing pin 25 of the SCSI plug with a circuit tester. That's what I was told anyway, I never did it because I really need my MPC (it's my only one) and don't wanna risk any damage to the unit.

I'll probably buy another Powermonster if we don't get some positive uses on the SCSI2SD from anyone. I'd take a chance on the SCSI2SD if I had more disposable cash lying around, as it looks like the better option. Sadly, I don't.
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:46 am
I was gonna buy one and design faceplates for it to sell. But if this device won't work, I'll have to sell $75 worth of faceplates just to break even, and that's still not counting what I'd have to invest in the design and manufacturing costs.
By richie Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 am
@distorted I thought you sell beats for 20k each?