Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By romerom Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:01 am
Whatup yall! I picked my korg triton up today and guess what, I JUST made my first multiple track sequence using the MPC as the midi sequencer and the triton as the instrument. IT WAS SO EASY once i figured out the interface and it sounds WAY better than anything I did with the akai on its own. The whole loading of samples and editing them before you can even use them for 1 PAD is so SLOW compared to having MULTIPLE BANKS of pre-made DOPE sounds on the triton!!!!!!!! So to anybody using an MPC by itself you could probably save yourself alot of valuable studio time by pickin one of these things up! MIDI IS KING!!!!!

HEY

Bympc 222 Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:46 pm
I HAVE A TRITON ALSO AND AN MPC 200XL, WOULD IT BE ASKING TO MUCH IF U COULD TELL ME HOW U HOOKED BOTH OF THEM UP TO EACH OTHER? IM STILL PRETTY NEW AND I REALLY HAVENT GOT THE MID THING DOWN YET. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Bysupaproducerr Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:59 pm
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CONNECT THE MIDI OUT OF THE TRITON TO THE MIDI IN ON THE MPC, AND THE THE MIDI OUT OF THE MPC TO THE MIDI IN OF THE TRITON ..... AND WHEN MAKING A TRACK MAKE SURE THE TRITON IS ON SEQUENCE...YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM ..
By romerom Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:56 am
mpc 222 wrote:I HAVE A TRITON ALSO AND AN MPC 200XL, WOULD IT BE ASKING TO MUCH IF U COULD TELL ME HOW U HOOKED BOTH OF THEM UP TO EACH OTHER? IM STILL PRETTY NEW AND I REALLY HAVENT GOT THE MID THING DOWN YET. THANKS IN ADVANCE

email me man maybe we can help eachother out when we get these things all figured out.. i can show you how to setup the midi stuff and get a couple sequences recorded using pure midi - [email protected]
By Prah_860_ Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:06 am
romerom wrote:
mpc 222 wrote:I HAVE A TRITON ALSO AND AN MPC 200XL, WOULD IT BE ASKING TO MUCH IF U COULD TELL ME HOW U HOOKED BOTH OF THEM UP TO EACH OTHER? IM STILL PRETTY NEW AND I REALLY HAVENT GOT THE MID THING DOWN YET. THANKS IN ADVANCE

email me man maybe we can help eachother out when we get these things all figured out.. i can show you how to setup the midi stuff and get a couple sequences recorded using pure midi - [email protected]

i need to get with that too
Bympc 222 Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:06 pm
will do man. u will be getting an email from me soon...thanks

By FromthePantoL.A. Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:12 am
I could stand a little info too. Holla at me.

By famekeyz Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:38 am
its funny to me that some one would buy a 2000 dollar keyboard but dont really understand midi.......i knew this stuff back when i had a Dr groove a nand a yamaha djx keyboard.

By DYNAMIK Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:18 am
supaproducerr wrote:ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CONNECT THE MIDI OUT OF THE TRITON TO THE MIDI IN ON THE MPC, AND THE THE MIDI OUT OF THE MPC TO THE MIDI IN OF THE TRITON ..... AND WHEN MAKING A TRACK MAKE SURE THE TRITON IS ON SEQUENCE...YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM ..

Thanks Mayn! I have been pullin my hair out over this for about three weeks now!

By damixx Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:56 pm
On your 2000 dollar comment; I dropped mad dough a while back on a Triton, Mpc 2000xl, without knowing anything about midi. I now have the Yamaha 01v, Emu Carnaval, Emu XL1-turbo loaded up extra rom slots, Midex 8 and Cubase all working flawlessly.
What kind of comment is that? If you like a piece of gear; go for it. Your retailer should help and even demo the midi functions of the gear; even if your not buying one at that moment.

I personally think the Triton sounds suck. It's too synthetic sounding. You have to do too much work to give punch and warmth to the weak preset sounds in it by using the ifx and master efx. As a Sampler it's a fine piece but as far as factory sounds and roms; this unit is horrible. Again as a sampler it's one of the best. The time slice option is comparable to recycle and allows for loop triggering with time stretching.
That's quite an amazing feat in itself.

On using the triton properly with the mpc 2000
After doing the midi connections between both (out to in and in to out between both units)
Triton should be in sequence mode
Each track on Triton sequencer (1-16) represents a midi channel on the mpc 2000xl
So by changing the sounds on each track in the sequence screen on the triton you can record them to midi tracks 1-16A (or b if you hooked it up to out b) on the mpc 2000.
You'll go to where it says drum on the bottom of the main screen of the Mpc 2000 and change it to midi channel 1a, you should hear the sound set to track 1 on the triton sequence screen, go to track 2 on the mpc 2000 and then change drum to midi channel 2A and you'll hear whatever sound was set to track 2 on the triton sequence screen.
If you hit menu on the triton while in the sequence mode you'll see a menu come up; select track parameters and you can set the triton to control internal and external sounds for each track on the triton.
This is useful if you load a program to the mpc 2000 and want to trigger the sounds using the triton yet still use the mpc as a sequencer.
explore and you'll see how many things can be done with both units.
(I forewarn about the triton sounds - they suck_ buy professional sample cd's in akai format, the sounds will be so much better)
Peace
By EntouRAJ Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:07 am
yo damixx, your explanation was exactly what i was lookin for the first 5 times i asked about this combo....thanks.....my next question, what if i wanted to add a synth mod(roland jv1080) to this mix, how woudl i go about doing that?
By EntouRAJ Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:07 am
yo damixx, your explanation was exactly what i was lookin for the first 5 times i asked about this combo....thanks.....my next question, what if i wanted to add a synth mod(roland jv1080) to this mix, how woudl i go about doing that?

LOL

By Boogie Man Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:28 am
its funny to me that some one would buy a 2000 dollar keyboard but dont really understand midi

LOL thats too funny man. so many kids just go out and buy the latest in gear just because so and so uses this or that without even knowing what shit does. I don't ever seeing myself buying 2gs worth of gear without knowing what it does. When I started, I bought second hand gear that wasn't even what pros were using. I did this to save money, and to see if I was really into making beats as much as I thought. I did like making beats as much as I thought I would and eventually bought gear that I KNOW how to use. I'm not saying I'm a master MPC user, but I see sooooo many questions on this site that 1. could be answered if you took the time to read the manual ( I know no one likes to do that, but its there for a reason) 2. wouldn't have to be answered if people did some research on this site. I just can't believe how many questions are asked about BASIC stuff. for example, "how do I make my keyboard work with my mpc?". come on man, if you're using thousands of dollars worth of gear, UNDERSTAND AND KNOW HOW IT WORKS FIRST!!! I think too many people are just lazy to just play with it and see what it can do. I used to have a Yamaha QY7 sequencer midied up to an Alesis SR16, Akai s900, and a Casio keyboard. Guess what, I had to learn to hook up all that on my own. There was no internet sites available then. Even though it was sometimes frustrating figuring out what did what and how they all worked together, that was part of the fun of making beats. Figuring out these machines and how they make music. I mean good lord, this is basic stuff some people are asking here. I'm surprised no one has asked how to turn the damm thing on. oh yea, in my opinion, preset sounds, ASSSS! I can see some people getting a bit upset at this post, but truth is truth.
Last edited by Boogie Man on Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

By damixx Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:35 am
The mpc 2000xl has two outputs A and B; this allows you to connect two midi devices.
Let's say you have The Triton connected to the a midi output on the mpc and the roland connected to output b on the mpc; and the triton connected to midi in 1 on the mpc (this allows triton to trigger the roland sound module as well as the drum sounds of the mpc internally)
follow the same suit if your going to sequence on the mpc
go to the main sequence screen and under track where it says drum1 select that and change it to midi 1A for Triton sound or 1B for roland module sound.
If you want to sequence on the triton follow same procedure (hit menu while in triton sequence mode) Go to track param then go to the corresponding tracks and select external. MAKE SURE that your tracks on the triton match that of the mpc's to trigger the proper sounds.
Ex:
Track 1 on the mpc is set to drum 1a; if you set the triton track 1 to external (by hitting the menu button then hitting track parameter, switch to external) You can sequence the mpc sounds on the triton sequencer; alternatively you can sequence on the mpc 2000 either by using the mpc pads or the triton keyboard to trigger sounds.
That's the best I could break it down.
Peace