Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By *Pilchard* Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:41 am
sorinp wrote: Please note Star One mentioned the resistor labelled R1 on the circuit board in his thread but I don't know which circuit board that is (S2000? MPC 2000 XL?)

She was referring to the 2000XL. So far this thread had been only about the mpc2000XL but your mpc2000 classic info and pictures are very welcome.
Sounds like the resistor replacement should fix your sampling & noise problem. I had VU meters permanently at maximum when on the sampling page but swapping the fuse seems to have totally sorted the problem. Hopefully it will do the same for you.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By sorinp Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:13 am
Oh I didn't realize it was about the MPC 2000 XL, thanks for pointing that out. Yes I do hope the resistor fixes everything, it's sure looking that way. And I'm glad the pictures and info are welcome, I wanted to contribute something worthy to this great forum!
By sorinp Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 am
So the MPC 2000 has been restored to a fully functional state, thanks to that dead resistor replacement, as outlined in my previous posts. The RECORD IN / SAMPLE meters are now working normally (SHIFT + 4 window) and there is no more audible hiss/noise/hum in the headphones. So relieved you have no idea... So once again a big thank you to Star One for pointing the way and illuminating us... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Speaking for myself this might very well be the single, most important thing I have learned about the MPC. This is major.
By richie Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 am
@sorinp, that's dope to hear man. I'm almost afraid to replace the resistor on my dead XL board. I had originally bought an XL last year for $150, ins and outs were f*cked, pads didn't work. Ended up replacing the board, pads still didn't work all the way, replaced the pads, everything is fine now.

So last night I decided to dig the old XL board out, use a volt meter and compare it with my spare working XL board. Yeah, the resistor is likely burnt out because the bands look more like yellow black black gold, and one time the volt meter reported it as a 40ohm value which is far off. I have a strong suspicion that I could have saved $350 in replacing sh*t by simply replacing the resistor. Live and learn lol.
By sorinp Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:59 am
Richie—remember this famous phrase that is now forever part of my life: "When you lose don't lose the lesson." Yup it sucks the big one to have paid so much for something so simple, it hurts in facts, I feel your pain... But now we both know something very precious that not many people do, I hope that brings you some kind of consolation... You might score another dead MPC one day, who knows, and purchase it for a song and restore it back to life.
By Star One Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:52 pm
*Pilchard* wrote:ps. I now have 49 resistors left over. So if anyone in the London area has the same problem, hit me up. I will even solder it in for you if necessary.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :) :) :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's how you do it! :nod:

sorinp wrote:In order to pay it forward and possibly help somebody else out I took some photos this afternoon. Please note Star One mentioned the resistor labelled R1 on the circuit board in his thread but I don't know which circuit board that is (S2000? MPC 2000 XL?) In any case, on the MPC 2000 Classic that resistor is labelled R23

Awesome addition :) Thanks much for that

sorinp wrote:So the MPC 2000 has been restored to a fully functional state, thanks to that dead resistor replacement, as outlined in my previous posts.

Im really glad to hear it! Hopefully with all this information on here, all these repair guys can stop lying to people and telling them a bunch of stuff is wrong when its not. If you can tell, I really hate people like that haha
By sorinp Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:26 pm
:P Yes i know exactly what you mean! My guy is of the honest breed, an old Polish man who started making his own amps at age 13, he's definitely a rare breed! He fixes just about anything vintage. He was however stumped when it came to the resistor issue because I could not provide him with the MPC 2000 Classic schematics and he could not find it either. So it took a wee bit more time but again, thanks to your brilliant intervention, it pointed him in the right direction. Apparently it is nearly impossible to find this elusive MPC 2000 Classic schematics diagram. But it all worked out in the end and I know it will help somebody else in the future :wink:

Oh and sorry for before, in my previous posts, I said "he" instead of "she" when I was referring to you. :nod:
By sorinp Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:35 pm
I have to be honest, it isn't everyday you come across a girl with an MPC let alone such an in-depth knowledge... I'm impressed!!! Either that or I've been hanging around the wrong people :lol: :lol: :lol:
By richie Fri May 01, 2015 1:48 am
sorinp wrote:I have to be honest, it isn't everyday you come across a girl with an MPC let alone such an in-depth knowledge... I'm impressed!!! Either that or I've been hanging around the wrong people :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do not think sex or gender is relevant. I know you didn't mean anything rude by it but it is like saying "You're pretty cool for a Quebecois" or something to that effect.
By sorinp Fri May 01, 2015 2:59 pm
No, indeed I did not mean anything rude, I was complementing Star One. Of course sex is irrelevant. What I was trying to say is that she is a rare gem. Her posts literally saved me. Star One rules in my book!!! My apologies if it wasn't expressed correctly, it was intended as a genuine, heartfelt compliment.
By richie Fri May 01, 2015 9:36 pm
@sorinp i think the only fair way to resolve this is by writing an apologetic poem about the matter.
By Star One Fri May 01, 2015 11:17 pm
I don't take any offence to it. I actually never notice that stuff till someone mentions it. Besides what he said made me blush =) I thought it was very nice of him to say