Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By MeanGreen Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been having these exact symptoms with my 2K classic. I've replaced the R23 resistor properly by taking the whole board out etc, but this didn't seem to solve the problem, I would really appreciate some more info regards to solving this problem on the 2k classic. Sorinp, in the picture u posted u have a yellow circle around the R29, should I replace this resistor a well?
Any help would really be appreciated! before I discovered this topic I gave up on fixing it but this gave me hope again.

Kind regards.
By MeanGreen Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:19 am
sorinp wrote:Please note Star One mentioned the resistor labelled R1 on the circuit board in his thread but I don't know which circuit board that is (S2000? MPC 2000 XL?) In any case, on the MPC 2000 Classic that resistor is labelled R23 but you cannot see it from this angle... it's located exactly where Star One said it would be, and it's indeed YELLOW-PURPLE-GOLD-GOLD. That's the floppy drive to the left. Check out the pics. In the first one the M symbol (next to the Omega symbol under the number 4 on the voltmeter screen) means it's dead by the way, I just learned that today :-D The technician was very happy :lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully I will report back with some good news...

Sorinp, I'm facing the same problem with my 2Kclassic and your help would be very appreciated. Did the guy that fixed your mpc also replace the resistor you marked with the yellow circle in the picture (R29) or just R23?.

Kind regards
By Star One Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm
sorinp wrote:In order to pay it forward and possibly help somebody else out I took some photos this afternoon.

Each one teach one :nod:

sorinp wrote:In the first one the M symbol (next to the Omega symbol under the number 4 on the voltmeter screen) means it's dead by the way, I just learned that today :-D The technician was very happy :lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully I will report back with some good news...

In this application an M would defiantly mean nothing is getting through, dead is right. But in other applications you sometimes have things with the metric prefix M for Mega, or 10^6. Of course most here won't be working with anything that requires that much resistance ^_^

So that 4.40MΩ would be 4400000Ω

MeanGreen wrote:
sorinp wrote:Please note Star One mentioned the resistor labelled R1 on the circuit board in his thread but I don't know which circuit board that is (S2000? MPC 2000 XL?)

She* didn't mention because there WERE complete photos showing the XL haha! I still need to fix that.. Maybe I can do that today. Won't take long to flip that cable back around and do it again (still going to use the 'cut and crush method').

I would have put (2000XL) in the title but I didn't know anything about the 2000 back then or how different they would be.
By xvw Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 am
jazzydre wrote:Is there a way we can get the picture re-uploaded for this?

Yes! I'd love to get the pics too if possible, please. I think that I really need this resistor. :idea:
By jazzydre Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:45 am
xvw wrote:
jazzydre wrote:Is there a way we can get the picture re-uploaded for this?

Yes! I'd love to get the pics too if possible, please. I think that I really need this resistor. :idea:

Or even if anyone could tell me which board and where its located.
By richie Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 am
The resistor is in the lower right hand side of the motherboard, the area where the ate and floppy power connector is.
By xvw Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 pm
richie wrote:The resistor is in the lower right hand side of the motherboard, the area where the ate and floppy power connector is.

Just took a pic, I believe it is labeled R1? Is this the correct resistor?

http://imgur.com/a/ywGoo

It looks a little odd to me... does mine look burned out to you?
By richie Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm
It's kind of hard to tell because the picture is dim. Mine didn't look burnt when it was though. For the cost involved in changing it, you may as well give it at try.
By xvw Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:42 pm
richie wrote:It's kind of hard to tell because the picture is dim. Mine didn't look burnt when it was though. For the cost involved in changing it, you may as well give it at try.

I will definitely take your advice on that brother, and I'll switch it out to see if it fixes the problem... because like Lamp said, any time something smokes in the MP, it is not a good sign.

Is this the resistor that you described earlier?

Here's a better picture:
By JUKE 179r Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 pm
Yep. that's it. R1 resistor. I've seen crispier resistors than that.
By richie Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 am
xvw wrote:Is this the resistor that you described earlier?
Here's a better picture:

Thats the exact resistor. I wish I knew about it before sourcing out another XL motherboard to use. A year after the fact this thread was made, then I pulled out the 'dead' motherboard, swapped out the resistor and now it's new again. I'm going to sell the motherboard for $450 so that I can have my own eBay post in the stupid gear prices thread.

Good luck either way. I really hope it's just that little resistor and not some other sh*t going on.
By xvw Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 am
richie wrote:
xvw wrote:Is this the resistor that you described earlier?
Here's a better picture:

Thats the exact resistor. I wish I knew about it before sourcing out another XL motherboard to use. A year after the fact this thread was made, then I pulled out the 'dead' motherboard, swapped out the resistor and now it's new again. I'm going to sell the motherboard for $450 so that I can have my own eBay post in the stupid gear prices thread.

Good luck either way. I really hope it's just that little resistor and not some other sh*t going on.

Got my sound back to normal via the record inputs while in the sample screen... I honestly feel so good right now. :-D

Hope you get a quick sale one that. I'm happy that you didn't lose your money after all :)