Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Wallace Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:03 pm
dcook79 wrote:nice track hok-2 . only feedback i might offer, is MORE chord/pad that came in around 1min mark....it teased and disappeared.

Secondly,
maybe change things up a tad and evolve your drums....sounded like one pattern throughout.

Here are a few of my proper releases, all some started in reason years ago, but later fleshed out, tweaked and finished on an MPC 1000 with some external gear..

What a coincidence, I have a different Chicago Skyway record on MOS deep.

Nice tracks posted here.
By Wallace Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:06 pm
SEMS wrote:I do Deep House with a Hip Hop style, using a 2K Classic, S3000XL & an E-mu E6400. Some of my work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAsowL ... 6OzfSBXQ7p

Looking forward to talking shop with fellow House heads :-D

You've got a new fan, love your work. Any of those releases hit vinyl? I'll have to track some down if so.

Would you mind giving us quick run through of your work flow? Listening to your tunes, they sound very well produced, I'm wondering how you achieve that with the tools you mentioned.
Last edited by Wallace on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By distortedtekno Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 am
We should all do an MPC-Forums House Compilation sometime after the New Year.
By JUKE 179r Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:09 am
Word!
By Wallace Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:12 am
I made this on the 2kxl over the weekend. Completely sampled from records, made entirely on the MPC, just recorded the main outs direct into Logic, done. Pretty basic and raw, but I think I will keep going down this path. I think there is gold in this method: given more time and experience with the MPC.

By SEMS Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:59 pm
Wallace wrote:
SEMS wrote:I do Deep House with a Hip Hop style, using a 2K Classic, S3000XL & an E-mu E6400. Some of my work:

You've got a new fan, love your work. Any of those releases hit vinyl? I'll have to track some down if so.

Would you mind giving us quick run through of your work flow? Listening to your tunes, they sound very well produced, I'm wondering how you achieve that with the tools you mentioned.

Ah thanks man, very much appreciated! Got 2 EPs on vinyl, one called The Tunnel & one called Looking Back. There should still be some copies on Juno & Technique, if not maybe Discogs. The label definitely still has some copies on their store: http://sosuremusic.bigcartel.com

As far as workflow, it's all pretty simple to be honest. I'll usually sketch something out real quick either on the MPC or sometimes with Ableton if I just wanna quickly see if something works. I try to get the drums & bass sounding pretty right before I sample them, so everything comes out of the MPC & S3K 95% of the way there. I use the Akai internal effects for most things (or I'll sample it with the desired effect). Then I track things in one-at-a-time thru an EL Fatso for some extra saturation. Mix down in Pro Tools with mostly just a tiny bit of EQ and that's it!
By SEMS Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:01 pm
Wallace wrote:I made this on the 2kxl over the weekend. Completely sampled from records, made entirely on the MPC, just recorded the main outs direct into Logic, done. Pretty basic and raw, but I think I will keep going down this path. I think there is gold in this method: given more time and experience with the MPC.

Very cool stuff man, really love the vibe. Definitely keep going on that path, you're on to something here. Like you said, with more time & experience the options become limitless. Adding a rack sampler to the rig really opens things up as well.
By Wallace Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:26 am
SEMS wrote:
Wallace wrote:

Ah thanks man, very much appreciated! Got 2 EPs on vinyl, one called The Tunnel & one called Looking Back. There should still be some copies on Juno & Technique, if not maybe Discogs. The label definitely still has some copies on their store: http://sosuremusic.bigcartel.com

As far as workflow, it's all pretty simple to be honest. I'll usually sketch something out real quick either on the MPC or sometimes with Ableton if I just wanna quickly see if something works. I try to get the drums & bass sounding pretty right before I sample them, so everything comes out of the MPC & S3K 95% of the way there. I use the Akai internal effects for most things (or I'll sample it with the desired effect). Then I track things in one-at-a-time thru an EL Fatso for some extra saturation. Mix down in Pro Tools with mostly just a tiny bit of EQ and that's it!

Hey thanks for the info. Which unit do you have the effects on? Are the MPC effects similar to the 3k? I have always wondered about the eb16 for the MPC, but generally people seem to think it isn't worth it. Delay, reverb and eq are really the only fx I need, if that.

Atm I have been eqing things on my Rane MP2016 before it hits the 2kxl, this requires foresight however into how you think a sample will be worked into the track. As for reverb, I just try to sample claps etc with large tails, no shortage of those in my record collection. That "forget me not" record gets sampled every time, that clap just sits nicely with anything else.
By SEMS Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:26 pm
Wallace wrote:Hey thanks for the info. Which unit do you have the effects on? Are the MPC effects similar to the 3k? I have always wondered about the eb16 for the MPC, but generally people seem to think it isn't worth it. Delay, reverb and eq are really the only fx I need, if that.

Atm I have been eqing things on my Rane MP2016 before it hits the 2kxl, this requires foresight however into how you think a sample will be worked into the track. As for reverb, I just try to sample claps etc with large tails, no shortage of those in my record collection. That "forget me not" record gets sampled every time, that clap just sits nicely with anything else.

No problem man. I got it on the MPC, but yeah it's the same board for both, the EB16. The fx definitely aren't anything to write home about, but they get the job done especially on short verbs for drums. Put it this way: I probably wouldn't ever have gone out of my way to get one, but I had to buy a new 2K & I found one with the EB16 included. But it does fit nicely into my workflow.

And yeah EQing beforehand can be tricky, but again with practice & experience you can at least get it very close, then tweak after recording. Personally I just do the most heavy-handed EQing before I hit the MPC and all the real tweaks once I've recorded it back in,
By JVC Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:09 pm
Nothing special, but I’ve just made 2000XL PGM file that loads samples of DMX, Roland TR-707 and TR-727.

I added a bit of silence (“air” as you might call it) on each samples. Adjust starting points as you like.

Limited time only!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4249864/audio/DMX707.zip
By JVC Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 pm
I also made a minimal TR808 PGM kit. I made this just for loading TR-808 sound to my MPC at once. Each sound contains a bit of “air”, like I did with DMX / TR707 / TR727 kit. This is for MPC-2000XL, I’m not sure if this works with 2000 classic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4249864/audio/808MINI.zip
By Wallace Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:50 am
SEMS wrote:
Wallace wrote:Hey thanks for the info. Which unit do you have the effects on? Are the MPC effects similar to the 3k? I have always wondered about the eb16 for the MPC, but generally people seem to think it isn't worth it. Delay, reverb and eq are really the only fx I need, if that.

No problem man. I got it on the MPC, but yeah it's the same board for both, the EB16. The fx definitely aren't anything to write home about, but they get the job done especially on short verbs for drums. Put it this way: I probably wouldn't ever have gone out of my way to get one, but I had to buy a new 2K & I found one with the EB16 included. But it does fit nicely into my workflow.

And yeah EQing beforehand can be tricky, but again with practice & experience you can at least get it very close, then tweak after recording. Personally I just do the most heavy-handed EQing before I hit the MPC and all the real tweaks once I've recorded it back in,

I honestly think my best bet would be to spend a little bit of money on a 8-16 channel mixer that has built in reverb. That way I'm killing multiple birds with one purchase. I get eq, I can mix my 8 outs, some basic fx and I can record faded movements straight live.

The eb16 runs a decent price alone these days, something like $200. I could probably get the mixer for a little over $500 in Australia.