Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Eight Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:39 am
What's up Peoples!

I am experiencing troubles with my beloved XL. I've searched my problems all over the web and my problem seems to be unique. Most people who have my problem can fix it by removing the 8 outs, CF card rearder and/or RAM and it's solved but my problem persists.

The Problem:
When turning on the MPC, it turns on and loads o.k. It will briefly load the hard drive screen, then go back to the main screen and from there I can not do anything. No buttons work, nor does the jog wheel work. I've tried searching that and google came up with no results. I unhooked the RAM with same results. I unhooked the 8 outs with the same results and I've unhooked the CF card with the same results. I did things actions individually and altogether. Also I replaced the CF reader with the Zip Drive with the same results. I can not reflash the OS because the mpc freezes after it boots up.

One time when turning it on and off, I came across an error 0000:C15C. But has since gone away.

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks!
By MrDismal Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:31 pm
I know that you can't update the OS, but just curious as to which OS you are running, latest? Should be with the CF card reader.
Could be bad ram?
By Eight Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:27 pm
ziekefons wrote:Just a thought.. Have you checked the connectors from the 'button & jogwheel board' going into the main/motherboard?

Thanks for the reply, i will try again as soon as I get home. I have dusted off the whole inside and I played with all the button, every button that clicks clicked and I didn't think twice about it, but will open it up and have a look at the connections thoroughly this time.

MrDismal wrote:I know that you can't update the OS, but just curious as to which OS you are running, latest? Should be with the CF card reader.
Could be bad ram?

Thanks for the reply. I am running 1.20. I completely took out the ram and started it with the same problem. I also cleaned the gold contacts, and dusted out the RAM slots.

Thanks again!
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:00 pm
That's weird. :?
Take a big picture of the circuit boards and post it on here for us to look over.
By richie Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:03 am
I was getting that kind of error when trying to use certain CF cards. So I got myself a sandisk extreme 4gb (even tho 1 gb is readable) and the crashing stopped completely.
By Eight Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:05 pm
richie wrote:I was getting that kind of error when trying to use certain CF cards. So I got myself a sandisk extreme 4gb (even tho 1 gb is readable) and the crashing stopped completely.

Thanks for the reply but I do not believe this is my problem. Even when I replaced the Card Reader with the Zip Drive it still turns on and freezes.
By Eight Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:08 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:That's weird. :?
Take a big picture of the circuit boards and post it on here for us to look over.

Ok, hope these pics are big enough. Image

I think in this image might show the problem. I'm not sure but either this part here is burnt or it's a sharpie mark for some reason.

By Wesley Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:58 pm
Hey!

Anyone had a solution for this Problem..? Same occurs on my 2000xl, s*it worked fine yesterday :hmmm:

Salut
By Box_xl Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:23 pm
Hi, my MPC2000XL does the same.. but after 20 minutes of “warming up” all works good, have You try to leave it powered on for 15-20 minutes ?
I still don’t have a solution for that..but I’m happy that all starts working after few minutes.
Mabye Your MPC have the same problem as mine .
By LEGALIZECHEY Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am
I'm having the exact same issue. only difference, ive never seen the "code number" displayed like you said. For a while mine would turn on with a blank screen and never get past that, which was over a year ago. I just picked it up the other day and turned it on, not only did get past the blank state, it actually continued to boot, load and search the DISK page. Once the initial boot was done I thought everything was all good, but now I'm having the same problems as you, goes through boot process, main screen comes on, no buttons or scroll wheel, just sits frozen....

Which was what lead me to believe it was something mechanical like broken board components but it wasn't and everything on my main board had continuity and wasn't suspicious looking.

Now I'm looking at boot errors online, I'll try and post some of my findings if i can find them again.
Looks like a main issue is the boot eprom chip is corrupted or damaged in someway..... definitely am not a pro at any of this but basic computer stuff/knowledge got me here....

I found eprom chips on ebay right now. 55 bucks and I'm not sure if this is my problem so still debating the purchase.

-chey
Last edited by LEGALIZECHEY on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
By LEGALIZECHEY Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 am
LEGALIZECHEY wrote:I'm having the exact same issue. only difference, ive never seen the "code number" displayed like you said. For a while mine would turn on with a blank screen and never get past that, which was over a year ago. I just picked it up the other day and turned it on, not only did get past the blank state, it actually continued to boot, load and search the DISK page. Once the initial boot was done I thought everything was all good, but now I'm having the same problems as you, goes through boot process, main screen comes on, no buttons or scroll wheel, just sits frozen....

Which was what lead me to believe it was something mechanical like broken board components but it wasn't and everything on my main board had continuity and wasn't suspicious looking.

Now I'm looking at boot errors online, I'll try and post some of my findings if i can find them again.
Looks like a main issue is the boot eprom chip is corrupted or damaged in someway..... definitely am not a pro at any of this but basic computer stuff/knowledge got me here....

I found eprom chips on ebay right now. 55 bucks and I'm not sure if this is my problem so still debating the purchase.

-chey

MPC 2OOOXL BOOT 1.2O EPROM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akai-MPC-2000X ... SwhSNddqkB
By richie Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am
The 2000XL does not use a BOOT EPROM to boot with. It stores its OS on an on board flash chip.

The purpose of that particular BOOT EPROM chip is solely for recovery in the event that the OS on the on board flash chip is corrupted. So you'd put the EPROM chip in, put a disk in and re-flash the OS back to the on board flash chip and then remove the EPROM.

If you suspect that there is an issue with the on board flash, you could easily just re-flash it from a floppy as is since you can still boot into your XL.

What you should be doing is removing all the installed RAM and let the XL boot off of the 2mb of on board memory and see if the same errors persist. If they do, then disconnect the ribbon connector going from the 8 out and try again. This is all really a process of elimination.