Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By TARO2KXL Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 pm
Hello dear MPC-Forum users, especially the 2KXL users,

I am planning to rebuild the rare FMX008M Flash Rom board for the 2KXL
and make it available for everybody (as pcb board).

Therefore I am looking for the Service Manual, Schematics and a board itself.

If there is any user with this board here - or if anyone has some documentation about it please contact me!

Also a good question: would there be anybody interested in this board here?

Cheers from Berlin and looking forward for some good conversations ;)
By Harmoncj Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:24 am
would there be anybody interested in this board here?

I am highly interested in having one of these boards.
By richie Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:21 am
I know that Mutec cloned these years ago. It's 2 layer pcb with clear testpoints, so even without the schematic you should be able to duplicate it by doing a straight scan with a scanner or a macro photograph.

All the required IC's and additional parts are listed in the MPC 2000 service manual as well, so its certainly possible.

There isn't much of a "point" in using this for a 2000XL but beneficial to a 2000 user to have the OS saved, or perhaps some programs and small go to drumkits. The data used on the fmx is independent from the ram so if you loaded samples off the FMX, it won't take up additional system memory.

Only 4 of the 8 flash slots are populated because 16 mb of flash would not be detected/usable on the 2000 as far as I am aware.

By TARO2KXL Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:55 pm
Hello there,

thanks for the quick reply.
As far as I know and seen in all the schematics and manuals - the FMX008M has its own connector inside the 2KXL.

Unfortunately I dont think the FMX008 (without the M Version) does not work on the 2KXL.

If there is somebody with that "M" Board out there it would be kinda groundbreaking ;)

The flash rom board is a nice little gem for all 2KXL users I guess as you can switch off your machine and everything stays inside ready to go after swtiching on.
I guess there are couple of musicians out there using the mpc in this way (as I do).

I thing its pretty possible to rebuild this board so lets hope a user of this one will reply ;)

Cheers
By JUKE 179r Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:03 pm
richie wrote:Image

I'm being off topic and nosey but what is the jumper for on A & B???
By TARO2KXL Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:34 pm
There is one...but wth a new board layout it might be possible to bypass that thing ;)

According the A / B switch - I am curiouse too to know what it means...but I guess its for the config for MPC 2000 or the Rack units..
By The Jackal Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:49 am
Would it be possible to increase/upgrade the storage size on the Flash ROM? Or is there a limitation in the 2000XL's software as to how much it can read? It would be great if I could save all my go-to drum sounds internally.
By MrDismal Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:00 am
The Jackal wrote:Would it be possible to increase/upgrade the storage size on the Flash ROM? Or is there a limitation in the 2000XL's software as to how much it can read? It would be great if I could save all my go-to drum sounds internally.

That would be dope!
By JUKE 179r Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:52 am
The Jackal wrote:Would it be possible to increase/upgrade the storage size on the Flash ROM? Or is there a limitation in the 2000XL's software as to how much it can read?

:popcorn:
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:05 am
From what I recall [and people please correct me if otherwise] I remember reading somewhere, maybe the clone Mutec FMC-01 stated in the manual that the MPC's cannot map above 8mb which is due to an actual firmware limitation of the MPC's. Hopefully someone else here can chime in and offer additional perspective.

I thought the only difference between the FMX and the M version had to do with board layout but all the board contents are the same. As for my opinion on whether or not it'll be useful on the XL - Since we have compact flash readers, I see this being more of relevancy for every other Akai based device without on board IDE connectors [And equally so, require a floppy disk to boot the OS or to newer OS revisions not burned on to the EPROM]. Either way, it's good sh*t that we're talking about this. The cost involved for cheap 2mb flash is at a surplus level now so cost will be much lower to produce.

I believe the toggle switch had to do with bank switching. 1/ First 4 flashes 2/ All flashes enabled?
By The Jackal Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 am
Yeah I had a feeling there was a limitation in the MPC's firmware to reading more than 8MB because otherwise Akai probably would've added more. Was hoping Akai just decided to throw 8MB and call it good and that someone who's doing what OP is doing would've found that the XL could handle more and create clones that are capable of handling it.
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:41 am
@The Jackal, bank switching is possible but in order to activate the toggle, you'd either need to go in to your case or connect a spdt switch to the case to toggle between the two. So there are still "options"