Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By hok-2 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 am
Yeah that's what I thought too, micro sd's looked a bit too small and fiddly.
So far it's pretty convenient for backing up on the laptop and file transfers.
Don't know how reliable it will be if I'm taking the sd card out a lot so, for now I'm keeping it as a external device and I use the floppy emulator to do most the back and fourth stuff.

I took a bit of gamble hoping I'd get it to work but, was informed scsi2sd V5.1 was funtionaly identical to the V5 boards (with the micro sd) and I had seen those working in mpc2000's.

I couldnt find the other ones in the U.K.
Might put it in the floppy drive slot at some point but, for now I'm just glad to have my Mpc back in action.
All my other drives dropped dead apart from one M.o drive that only works in my S3000.
Havent had any problems with it so far.
By hok-2 Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Haha yeah, Vhs cases are my go-to source for boxes.
I had it in this scsi case but it was a bit too big and heavy, plus I didn't need the power bit, fan etc.
So I unscrewed the scsi conectors and put it in that VHS case instead.
Bit easier than making a box from scratch, and I'm a cheapskate so didn't want to buy a propper one. :nod:

[url][URL=https://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hok-2/media/_57d_zps68951e3d.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hok-2/media/_57_zps56ecb538.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
By richie Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:48 pm
Yeah honestly since it can be bus powered, there really is no incentive to use a heavier case just to move around. Perhaps down the line you can purchase one of the 3d printed external cases for it , they're about the size of 2 cellphones stacked on top of each other.

I've been fortunate to locate external SCSI cases for great prices or often for free. I get to look at them every day as I have 10 of them in a stack here by my workstation. I use it as a stand for holding the wireless keyboard for the Imac I use for youtube browsing.
By hok-2 Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 am
Word, Richy.
I'v been thinking about moulding my own replacement buttons too.
Some of the stuff people do with 3d printers is cool but, the fornular for plastic is common knollege
I'd rather do it myself.
What could possibly go wrong?
Explodes to death. 8)
By richie Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm
There's also some stuff I've seen on youtube recently where people are making and casting their own mold in a kitchen. It's something I want to test just for the sake of doing so as I wonder if the buttons can withstand the same amount of use as the original injection mold ones.
By hok-2 Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 am
I think it's the casting of a good mold which is probably the hardest part.
Getting the seem in the right place so you can take it apart without destroying the thing inside.

All of my Mpc2000 buttons are on thier last legs but no, disrespect to them, that's around 20 years they've been in service, I'd merely like to make my own ones cus I enjoy stuff like that.
The scsi2sd board is realy good.
I havent stopped using it since I got it and it hasnt crashed or failed.
So I think it's safe to say they work.

I have mountain of broken scsi hard drives, Mo. drives and floppy drives, so I can't say anyone else will figure it out as easily as I did. But just try all the settings until it works. That's the method.
It doesnt need a termination block and won't work without the usb plugged in, which I asume is around 5volts (same as a floopy drive) so be carefull with the power, you can fry the board if you use more than that, don't use any if in doudt.

Then hit your local charity store/thrift shop for the vhs enclosure.
PeAcE!
By tapedeck Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:47 pm
yall are crazy.
'ill just make my own plastic'....wtf dimension am i living in?!

the $40 those buttons cost at mpc-stuff is totally worth not setting up a damn plastic factory in my kitchen. im all for science and curiosity, so more power to yall, but colour me shocked and awed.
By richie Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 am
@tapedeck it really isn't that expensive to do now man. It just requires a bit of mixing of materials. I recently saw some dude on YouTube that made a knife out of milk.
By hok-2 Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:53 am
Haha, Milk Knife!
Yeah, I think I might of got carried away with moulding splastic buttons scheme, it's a bit of a palaver the more I look into it.

Anyway, just checked in to say the Scsi2Sd card is still working fine and I'v had no problems with it.
Which is pretty cool.
I think it may be Hotswappable too, as I'v had do problems taking the SD card out and loadind other stuff off another SD card.

Powering it from a USB wire isn't a ideal setup, I think it would be better installed in the mpc's floppy port.
Which has a 5.v power wire. But that's another can of worms to open in the future.
So far all is good.