Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By BasSDandy Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:30 am
I bought the CF reader kit from MPCstuff.com.

It came with

-Compact Flash Drive in Black or White (fits exactly in the MPC)
-Data Ribbon Cable
-Power Supply Cable
- 2gb scandisk ultra ii 15 mb/s card

I installed it the way it showed me how. I was sure to update the os to the 1.2 os as well.

Whenever i go to the load screen to format eveything, an annoying (NO FLOPPY DISK READER) pop up keeps going up.
There's no sign of ATAPI Device. Only scsi 0 - 7, F Rom, and Floppy devices.

Now there are somethings that I'm considering on what the problem is. One is that the reader can be set on slave instead of master, but I have absolutely no clue what that means and how to change it. I looked it up and there's no explanation about it. Second, the cf card is bunk. Finally the entire reader is defective.

I need some help on what to do here. Anyone have an expert solution to my problem?

here's some pics if that'll help

By Wal Martian Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 pm
BasSDandy wrote:...the reader can be set on slave instead of master, but I have absolutely no clue what that means and how to change it.

Slave/master is the jumper setting, right above the MPCstuff sticker, looks like it's set to master right now..
By WASKMUSIC Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:49 pm
the reader has to be on MASTER. have you got os 1.14 or better 1.20? have you tried the cf card in a pc or something else? the cf card has to be INSIDE the reader BEFORE powering your unit. it should tell you ATAPI in load/save menu.
By phoking Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:12 pm
Your drive is probably not hot-swappable, so make sure your CF card is IN the reader BEFORE turning on your MPC. It must stay there as long as your unit is on.

If you have OS ver 1.14 installed; IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE your CF reader. You will have to install Ver. 1.2 for the OS to detect your reader. Most likely through a floppy drive... Or SCSI in the back...

Hope this helps.
By Wal Martian Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:14 pm
mr_debauch wrote:... there are a few card readers that work with 1.14, and 1.14 is actually a better OS simply because it allows for higher then 1 gig partitions if I am not mistaken but most cf readers (using the IDE port only, not scsi) require 1.20 to work.. some are good with 1.14 as I said..
By Eightysix69 Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 am
Hey OP, did you ever get an answer about this issue? I have the exact same situation right now. I was attempting to get help from MPCSTUFF.COM but they abruptly stopped replying and I haven't heard from them in over 72 hours. The only difference in our situation is they gave me a SanDisk 4gb card. Regardless, same problem.
My installation looks exactly like yours. When I turn on the MPC with the CF card in, it's a blank white screen, yes I have 1.20. When I turn it on without the card in, it loads as normal but still does not show ATAPI as an option, only the typical SCSI, F-rom and Floppy. Incredibly frustrating as I've been trying to fix this for 3 days. I've read everything and watched every video about this and unfortunately there aren't very many. The instructions MPCSTUFF supplies with the CF Reader are terrible. They're poorly written and not even for the exact device, how difficult would that be for them to do? There are multiple things they fail to mention, one being the fact that there are tiny number guides to follow when plugging in the molex connector to the Drive. Also, their video for the install looks like it was filmed by a toddler, time for an update maybe? It's sad when a company that's been in business over a decade and is still expanding, can't even get simple stuff like this right. The most help I've gotten with this situation is from other people who've gotten s**t customer service from MPCSTUFF.
By apfelboeck Sun May 06, 2018 8:33 pm
Hi
I have exactly the same problem as BasSDandy and Eightysix69.
I just got my CF reader from MPC Stuff, it seems to be the same device.
And yes, I have OS 1.2.
And yes, I know it's not hot-swappable.
Still, neither the LOAD nor the Save menu finds any ATAPI...
:cry:

update:
i changed the CF card (while MPC switched off) > still no ATAPI
i changed the 40pin data ribbon cable > still no ATAPI
i go to sleep now. maybe this solves all issues.
By mr.mull Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:50 am
apfelboeck wrote:Hi
And yes, I have OS 1.2.

update:

did anyone find a solution to this problem as i have been having the same issue for the passed 2 weeks no one can seem to help me here and im scratching my eyeballs :)
By Afferbeck Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:34 pm
mr.mull wrote:
apfelboeck wrote:Hi
And yes, I have OS 1.2.

update:

did anyone find a solution to this problem as i have been having the same issue for the passed 2 weeks no one can seem to help me here and im scratching my eyeballs :)

Have you guys tried other cards? I have tried dozens in the XL and have the best luck with cards that are from 2004 or earlier and 1GB or smaller. Anything later refuses to work in the cheap ebay CF adapters which are also not hot swappable, not sure how much better the MPCstuff reader is with compatability. If a card won't work, it simply won't work and the machine won't recognise anything on ATAPI.