Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Johnnyd0205 Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Hey guys, new to this forum and came across a problem. I'm doing a mod using distortedtekno's instructions and really don't know much about hooking up the PCD-25BH internally in the 2000. More specifically, how to turn the termination on and change scsi id's. I've tried googling numerous sites to try and find the item's manual but unfortunately couldn't. If you guys can help me at all, It'd help a lot. :-D
By LADiego Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:32 pm
The mpc2000 has no internal SCSI ports. I did a mod years ago that required custom cabling to transition from 50 pin idc to db25 to connect an internal card reader to the sampler's extrernal scsi port. It was involved. It is a project. The easiest route to take is to just put in a external SCSI case and connect to mpc2000 SCSI port.

You mentioned a pcd25bh card reader. I believe this card reader is limited to 1gb storage regardless of size of cf card used. The mpc2000 has the potential to go beyond 1gb and use up to a 16gb cf card (create up to 16 partitions of ~1gb each). I have a card reader connected to my mpc2000 that does just that. And then I have another card reader which I connect once in a while to my 2000 that can use up to 8gb cf cards and it is Hotswap. It is the Microtech pcd47b.

Keep it simple and just put the card reader in a SCSI case and use externally. Keep in mind the pcd25bh is hot swap but limited to 1gb storage per cf card used.

Good luck.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 pm
Yeah, MCD inside classic 2k is a project.
By Johnnyd0205 Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 pm
Thanks for the reply! I just got the PCD-25BH in the mail and have all the parts in order to complete this mod. I'm going to be soldering PTFE wire from the main board to a breakout board that has a scsi port and connect my PCD-25BH. The only concern is how to turn on the termination and scsi ID. That would be a good idea doing the card reader externally but honestly don't really know how to. Hot swapping isn't really that big of a deal to me as I'm going to be transferring files from the mpc to the computer and vice versa anyways. If there's an easy and cheaper way to make it external, that'd be great.
By richie Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 pm
Lampdog wrote:Yeah, MCD inside classic 2k is a project.

It's not the MCD maine.
By richie Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm
@Johnnyd0205 you're better off putting the card reader in an external case and calling it a day.
By JUKE 179r Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 am
By LADiego Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:27 pm
Juke pretty much laid out exactly what is needed to make the card reader an external version with the pics provided. Good luck modding the mpc2000 (would be a good idea to have a multimeter to id wires for power before hooking up card reader) and/or if you decide to go external which will be the easiest option.
By richie Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm
the DB25 end of that cable has bent pins. Be sure not to buy a cable with bent pins.
By JUKE 179r Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 am
richie wrote:the DB25 end of that cable has bent pins. Be sure not to buy a cable with bent pins.

Yeah... I see that now.
By Johnnyd0205 Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 pm
So I'm planning on buying the external enclosure. Couple questions though. Would it matter if the power isn't 5v or does it have to be 5v still running externally? Do you have to terminate it from the inside of the pcd-25bh or can you just do it from the external enclosure? And do you set the id from the enclosures id? Thank you guys all for trying to help me out figure out this mod!
By Johnnyd0205 Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm
UPDATE! I got it to work externally with the external enclosure. I even put a 4gb sandisk micro sd to a micro to cf adapter and it worked perfectly! Thank you guys so much for the help on this mod!
By HDH Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm
ANY PICS TO SEE?
I NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY MPC3000. JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DID EXACTLY TO USE AN EXTERNAL INSTEAD OF REPLACING THE DRIVE INSIDE.