Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Kaymir Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:50 pm
hi

i save a sequence where i got (for example) diff swing settings on tracks and the timing on 1/8

but when i load it for a session the timing is set to 1/16 and the swing to 50%

it look liks it still sounds the same

HELp

and whats the diff between midifile type 1 and 0

By Kaymir Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:41 pm
some help plz...is it just the way it is or s it a glitch?

By thynctank Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:02 am
Kaymir, the current quantize and swing settings aren't affecting anything. The only time settings affect the sequence are DURING recording and when you use the DO IT feature of the quantize or swing options.

The cool thing about the MPC is that you can combine multiple quantize settings in one sequence. Meaning you can record straight 1/8 kick and drum track and lay a triplet-based hihat on top of it. You can create some really complex snare patterns this way, drum and bass and jungle type stuff.

So, to reiterate, don't believe what the screen is showing. If it sounds right, it's right. But when you go to edit, know how every step was entered, especially if you need to step edit. If you're in 1/8 quantize in step edit and the note data you're trying to purge was entered as a 1/32 triplet, you may not find that note. The only way to find every note for certain (when you don't already know how deep your quantize was) in step edit is to turn quantize off.

-thynctank

By Kaymir Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:41 am
aight thnx, very much thnx!! that's why i love this forum :D

you've made it all clear now for me!

By Mddl Fngr Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:58 pm
>"If you're in 1/8 quantize in step edit and the note data you're trying to purge was entered as a 1/32 triplet, you may not find that note. The only way to find every note for certain (when you don't already know how deep your quantize was) in step edit is to turn quantize off."

In step edit mode you can hold the GO TO button and press the STEP> or <STEP and it'll automatically go to the next event (or previous event) no matter what the quantize is set to. This speeds up the process considerably.