Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tapedeck Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 pm
i've never done the update so i couldn't tell you much other than what i google.
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1683

and i'm not saying you can use larger files, i'm just saying having all your disk images on one partition is preferable (to me) to having a single partition for each disk.
would probably make saving across multiple disks work too since you just hit a button to load the new image...you don't have to switch partitions / drives.
By roisindubh83 Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 pm
Makes sense to me I have a better understanding the video I could pull up was it seemed to have more partitions available on the program never mentioned saving through but could be possible thank you for the insight definitely looking into it.
By narcoticnoise Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm
I bought an mpc 2000 and it came gotek emulator as well but i can't figure out how to put samples APART from the first Partition (where my OS boot is) which limits to less than 1.4 mb of samples. I have to delete the OS from my USB and load 1.4MB of samples worth only on the first partition.

How do i use the other partitions to store samples? What software do i need to see my 1000 different floppy's my USB made?

That's my only issue with the Gotek i can't figure out how to put samples into my usb (apart for drag and drop into first partition) I'm unable to see my other folders my USB floppy emulator has. What software is needed so that i'm able to store samples into my 1000 partitions?
By roisindubh83 Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 am
I just use my two usb method I used free program called Ipcas it’s free I posted a link in that program it makes a 100 partitioned usb but ones you can actually see if your using it to take samples off your pc and load them to your gotek as of now it’s the only way to go so one usb to add samples or programs and the gotek usb to save
By hok-2 Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 am
Thats cool that some one is taking the time to look into these Gotec Emulators, I'm sure some one will work out how to save on multible disks at some point.
I'v had one for a few years and at least they make transfering programs to a p.c easy.
And like the dude said you can do a whole program on Mpc Editor and it will load it all without having to do each sound seprately.

They are also usefull if you want to pass a sample back and fourth between your computer and Mpc.
I think you can get about 11 seconds on to 1.14mb's.
And at least its a USB so, its less bother than the Scsi road
Not bad for £18
I think they also work in S2000's and S3000xls but not the older s3000's.
By tapedeck Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm
Wal Martian wrote:When yo go to save a large file over 1.44MB does DISK screen prompt you to insert a new floppy?

just a guess here, but since a lot of the goteks use separate partitions to fake floppies, i imagine saving across multiple 'disks' wont work because you have to actually change the 'drive' the mpc is looking at.

i could be totally wrong though, so correct me ye who know better than i.
By Ree Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:32 pm
I was just reading over this post... great information! Question, being that the MPC 2000XL doesn't have to be booted from a floppy, can you just format the USB Flash stick using the method of holding the 2 buttons on the Gotek down during MPC boot to create 1000 partitions and use the MPC?

Also, If this is the case, will I be able to transfers files from my windows pc to the USB flash drive?

Do I need special software to transfer files? Will the computer recognize the 1000 partitions?

Thanks in Advance!
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm
It needs to be mentioned that anyone that puts a Gotek in an XL when they can put a SD / CF card reader for cheaper , does not deserve to own an MPC 2000 XL in the first place.
By mpc2000xl2020 Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am
roisindubh83 wrote:I wanted to post a more in depth instructions for those using this on there mpc 2000 or 2000 xl , it could also probably work for other mpc in general , I spent days trying to figure out how to use this drive it came with zero instructions most videos I felt people were more so showing off that they got it to work and really didnt explain. More than a few articles and forum posts I saw that people using certain programs on there pc could only truly get there usb drive to partition too 100 1.44mb. I found out a hybrid solution using a free program , and a tendak usb floppy drive. Both Gotek and Tendak drive were just under 50$ us.(using windows)

1.)Turn off power to mpc and open it up basic screw setup get the backing and control panel board off mpc and gently remove hard drive, detach the cables and put gotek drive in place attach the two cables, put everythig back on mpc .
2.)Download version 1.40i from the free software company called IPCAS http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy ... nload.html, this is the program you will use to format one of your usb with this . Here is the quick steps to use the disk emulator program after instalation I do believe there youtube videos showing how to.
a.)Put in usb flash drive ,open program top left corner you will see the drive you plugged in go to the drive and right click format, keep in mind this will erase anything previous on that flash drive.There will be a window prompt pop up make sure you set the partition to 100 it will break the drive into 100 1.44mb folders essentially and make sure you click the dos option this will add a dos prompt to each folder you only need it in one but it makes it easier and you can always delete with a click in the folder. hit format it will ask you if your sure or not just dot it, and your usb is now partioned in a way your mpc can understand.
b.)On the right of the screen you will now see or should now see the 100 partitions click on the very first partition this will be the very first file your gotek drive will read to the mpc, you will see the three dos boot files you need this for the boot up part.
c.)Plug in Tendak usb floppy drive on my computer the drive read was A, insert your boot floppy I have 1.72 and it will read it like any other hard drive open the drive folder and you should see three files for the OS boot up , highlight those files and drag them in the first folder in your ipcas program, unplug usb plug into gotek drive power it up to show that it works and will boot from the first partition on that storage device.

What few have explained about the GOTEK drive is that there are two buttons that serve functions of scrolling through the partitions inside of mpc or what ever compatible and when the usb is unplugged it also has a few functions because of its internal memory its to set read or writing modes that allow it to be transported info from pc to mpc etc, that part is tricky and where I think should be written about or explained more . So the concept is that you really dont need to format usb on pc the idea is that it formats from the GOTEK drive itself and partitions to 1000 on its own which is amazing considering it eliminates the need for possible faulty drives or disks. The only problem I ran into is that when you go through the partition process it wipes the OS so you need to find a way to boot mpc after you partition gotek drive if that makes sense. So I figured I would make two compatible forms of using usb drive with mpc 2000.

2.)Now that you have a 100 partitioned boot drive , you can now setup and partition the second usb.
a.)plug in second usb into the gotek drive make sure that it isnt turned on and hold in the two buttons on the drive and power on machine you will see it start to count up once you see that let go it will go up to 998 or so once its done creating your 1000 partitions you will notice now that after you power off it will give you a disk error message or something. power machine back off, you second usb is now successfully partioned and formated to use fully on your mpc......but now you notice there is no OS boot on the new second usb.
b.)plug second drive into pc you will notice it will be name fl000 or something like that and it will seem that the whole drive is the size of a floppy disk that is just the first partition on your gotek drive the pc is registering , no problem though go into the ipcas program make sure usb one is plugged in your pc and open up the first folder like before and you just highlight and copy the files in the floder including the mpc ones and drag them into your second usb drive, you now have a dos boot mpc OS file in the first partition on your usb so you can now plug in mpc power up you now have your boot and a thousand partition usb.

The first usb I use as a back up boot and a way that is easy for me to drag files from old disks to add to and from my pc to the mpc and the second drive is for my main stand in drive I hope this rant made sense to you this method works great for me and I think allot out there searching could be helped .

I have an mpc 2000xl. I have a lot of music/sound files saved on the zip scsi drive. I'm want to transfer the sounds/song files from the zip drive onto an external drive such as a laptop or a flash drive. I don't know what I need to accomplish that.

what do you recommend I do in order to be able to transfer the files from the zip scsi drive onto my laptop or flash drive? do you sell a converter or an adapter that would accomplish this?

thank you for your assistance.

-Mack
By 7thBlessed Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:29 am
Just so im clear - this procedure is for the MPC2000? The reason i ask is i have an XL question:
I have an XL
A Gotek floppy Emulator
A USB floppy drive. Not sure if its Tendak or not
A million floppy disks i still want access to:
I tried to access them by plugging in the USB floppy drive into the Gotek:
Before,During and After powering on my MPC.
Doesn’t Work.
Any Suggestions? Do i need to use the HXC software and transfer the floppy disk info over to the USB drive?
By OLDWAYS Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:27 pm
So
I have a question

Last month I bought a GOTEK EMULATOR from YahooJP(I am Asian) for my MPC2k classic
And the seller use the Emu on SP1200
He said it was reboot for SP1200
I am not sure what he done
But I know is when I install it on mpc2000
It show “disk read error”

So I upgrade firm by USB type A to Type A
It stop show the error message
But Evan I put the OS on the first usb partition
(I format it by a software)
It still showing “input OS disk”

And…the next question is
When I reject the USB
the emu show error message E34
(it have OLED screen)
I searched it, it’s because emu need a image file
So I put the USB to my computer
And find a image_a file
Open it by Note+ and nothing inside
I copy a code from a site
And put it back to MPC

The MPC can read it but still can read the is file……

I feel useless…….

(Sorry about my language ability, my mother language is Taiwanese :) )