Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By bayareabeatsta Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:56 am
basically i need help/advice

i have
mpc
g4 using micrologic
mixer with mic

so i record the beat with no changeups or breaks for however long the vocals last (ex.50 bars) on track 1. then on track 2 i record the vocals to the beat. now i want to sit down on the mpc and set up all the breaks and changeups and record it on track 3. then i could erase track 1 with the guide beat and be all set. here is my problem, i cant get the final beat on track 3 to start at the right time, it is always like one hair off but i can notice it. other people who i record with say "i cant really notice anything" but they are trippin.

how can i solve this problem,

thank you

By ieism Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:48 am
Sync it with midi. I use Midi Time Code but i have no experience with Micrologic , but i think it only syncs using Midi Clock.
Press shift-9 on the mpc to get to the sync screen. Look in your logic manual to find out how to set up your mac.

By itchyvinyl Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:11 pm
I think Midi Beat Clock is the easiest to use. Easier than syncs.

By brainwashcloth Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:17 pm
i was having slight timing problems synced up using midi clock, i switched to mtc 30fps and mmc control with the mpc as the slave (nuendo as master) and it is perfect. i also double up my tempo to get twice the resolution.

By brainwashcloth Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:21 pm
oh and you can always go the oldschool route if you cant get sync worked out. record with a 4click countin in using a really short percussive sound first. have that at the begining of your mpc tracks (an extra 1bar sequence with do) and record the vocals in a way that you get the same count-in before the vocals (on the vocal track) basically make sure you use the same count in with the same sounds at the same tempo on every track you record, then you can more easily line everything up visually, zoomed in pretty far and with grid or snap off.

By bayareabeatsta Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:39 am
with the midi syncing that means i have to have my mpc connected to my mac via midi right. cause i dont have that. and i thought midi had nothing to do with raw audio which is what i am recording on the mpc not midi tracks.

By thynctank Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:53 am
beatsta, the MIDI in this case is just to make sure things always get recorded at the same time. It's not being recorded, it's a pulse to make sure the MPC will start at the proper time. That means if you have to go back and re-record the MPC part, the lyrics will still line up properly, because the MPC shiz will still begin at the same moment it did originally.

-thync

By elmacaco Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:14 am
if your vocals are sampled into the mpc, then midi clock won't help, what are you using logic for?

you can shift the timing on your track 3 beat (make sure you get all events) or move the trigger for the vocal sample using the same thing to get them, to line up. of course, make sure the vocals are in time and don't drift off beat, nuthing can help that.

By bayareabeatsta Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:42 am
yeah im using logic to record my vocals

there is no way i could possibly cut a track on the mpc vocals and all unless i had like 3 million hours in a day

By elmacaco Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:29 pm
then midi clock will help. slave your mpc to logic and press rec on logic from the top, the mpc should sync nicely to the tempo set in logic. if the vocals start too early or late, shift them over. again, if they are not in time with your beat this won't help.