Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By CharlesRandolph Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 pm
tapedeck wrote:thanks for confirming - you def want to check what kind of cable your drive needs.

also just for some education, if you are making your own cable, the yellow and red wires are for different voltages, and you need to make sure you get the right one. one is +5v and the other is +12v. you can check which is which easily with a voltmeter - wit the cable plugged into the mpc motherboard, and the mpc powered on, put the ground of the voltmeter on the black wire and the other probe on either the red or yellow wire...you will get either 12 or 5 volts.

the floppy only uses one of these.

Great Advice! Excellent. Now here is a question, if he has the internal zip disk install. Isn't it already using that 4 pin jumper cable to power it. So all he needs to have is 40 IDE CABLE right?
By tapedeck Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Great Advice! Excellent. Now here is a question, if he has the internal zip disk install. Isn't it already using that 4 pin jumper cable to power it. So all he needs to have is 40 IDE CABLE right?

i'm not entirely sure - i think the zips use molex - but i have always avoided zips.

it doesn't matter what he HAD, or what someone else had (case in point, your original comment :mrgreen: ), the main thing to remember here is to check the drive that is going in, and get the cable appropriate for that.

we strangers on the internet can only guess and talk back and forth, the person with the actual equipment needs to do most of this work on their own.

hopefully something in here helps tho.
By Lazy Ray Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm
Ah, thanks so much guys. Great to see so much support here. This is the cable I need I guess. Is the connector on the left something special? Can't remember seeing them in old computers...

Tomorrow I'll open the MPC again, to check which cables and connectors I already have.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:21 am
tapedeck wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Great Advice! Excellent. Now here is a question, if he has the internal zip disk install. Isn't it already using that 4 pin jumper cable to power it. So all he needs to have is 40 IDE CABLE right?

i'm not entirely sure - i think the zips use molex - but i have always avoided zips.

it doesn't matter what he HAD, or what someone else had (case in point, your original comment :mrgreen: ), the main thing to remember here is to check the drive that is going in, and get the cable appropriate for that.

we strangers on the internet can only guess and talk back and forth, the person with the actual equipment needs to do most of this work on their own.

hopefully something in here helps tho.

Agree, and again thank you for the correction. That is very value information. :worthy:

Wal Martian wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:Also, the floppy power connector on the MPC mainboard is not a berg/mini-molex connector, it is actually a JST EH connector, but many seem to use a berg/mini-molex in it's place.

Brilliant, so that's the name. :-D :-D it's 4 Pin Female JST EH Connector to 4 Pin Male Mini Molex. With the positive and negative connected. Referring to the this picture.
By Lazy Ray Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:15 pm
Question: do you need a specific ribbon cable? Or a special floppy drive? I'm getting the feeling it isn't the exact same hardware as in an old pc.

I've tested two floppy drives. I've disconnected the yellow power cable, and also tested with the yellow cable connected.

The only change is that the MPC gives a floppy option in the load/save screen, but says it isn't connected. When I choose the floppy, I hear a click in the drive, but even the led doesn't light up.

I also had to use an other port on the motherboard, because the zip drive used the wider ribbon cable. Are both ports on the motherboard IDE?

By Lazy Ray Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm
Fair to ask! But yes, with or without a floppy the same result. The led of either drive won’t light up. I remember from back in the days, when the drive was empty, your computer always did some check in the drive... now I only hear a click, that’s it. As if he isn’t really connected or something.
By tapedeck Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm
Lazy Ray wrote:Question: do you need a specific ribbon cable? Or a special floppy drive? I'm getting the feeling it isn't the exact same hardware as in an old pc.

I've tested two floppy drives. I've disconnected the yellow power cable, and also tested with the yellow cable connected.

The only change is that the MPC gives a floppy option in the load/save screen, but says it isn't connected. When I choose the floppy, I hear a click in the drive, but even the led doesn't light up.

I also had to use an other port on the motherboard, because the zip drive used the wider ribbon cable. Are both ports on the motherboard IDE?

one is ide the other is scsi. the zip was likely scsi.

as for power i am wondering if you might be frying or confusing the drives. i cannot confirm that, but notice how the original floppy power cable only used the red wire - if you are trying to use all 4 you might be sending it voltage it doesnt expect and causing it to behave weird.
i see now from yer photos you are using some sort of adapter that looks like it might be doing the right thing, but i cant really confirm.
ribbon cables do go bad, and yes there are different kinds of ribbon cables. is yours the kind where you can flip it backwards (don't force it if not!). sometimes people plug those in backwards.

basically you only want one ground and one power going to the floppy - i'm not sure which though, the service manual might shed some light on that.

you are doing a really good job documenting and problem solving - keep at it.
By Lazy Ray Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 pm
Thanks for the support!

I first only connected the 5v. Didn't work. Then I connected the yellow cable back for the 12v because in every computer both are connected, so it couldn't harm the floppy drive I guess. Result was the same. I also used a multimeter to check if red was really 5v and yellow 12v, and it was.

The motherboard has 4 connecters for ribbon cables:

I figured out that the one with the red arrow is for the 8-out. I've put my floppy drive on blue. My zip drive (which died) is back on green. And there is a bigger one on top that is yellow. Can someone confirm that 'blue' and 'green' are just IDE and the bigger one on top, with the yellow arrow is SCSI?

When the ZIP drive was working, it was always saying ATAPI in load/save. So I guess it was just IDE right?

I can't really find a good layout of the motherboard with the discription of the different sockets. But abount the one with the blue arrow was said that it was for floppy, in an other topic. And the size matches with the standard ribbon cable for a floppy drive from an old PC.

The only strange thing is, when I take a look at the ribbon cable on lets say MPC Stuff, it is much more twisted. Never saw something like that in real life: https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-2000xl-flo ... bles-used/
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:24 am
Lazy Ray wrote:Thanks for the support!

I first only connected the 5v. Didn't work. Then I connected the yellow cable back for the 12v because in every computer both are connected, so it couldn't harm the floppy drive I guess. Result was the same. I also used a multimeter to check if red was really 5v and yellow 12v, and it was.

The motherboard has 4 connecters for ribbon cables:

I figured out that the one with the red arrow is for the 8-out. I've put my floppy drive on blue. My zip drive (which died) is back on green. And there is a bigger one on top that is yellow. Can someone confirm that 'blue' and 'green' are just IDE and the bigger one on top, with the yellow arrow is SCSI?

When the ZIP drive was working, it was always saying ATAPI in load/save. So I guess it was just IDE right?

I can't really find a good layout of the motherboard with the discription of the different sockets. But abount the one with the blue arrow was said that it was for floppy, in an other topic. And the size matches with the standard ribbon cable for a floppy drive from an old PC.

The only strange thing is, when I take a look at the ribbon cable on lets say MPC Stuff, it is much more twisted. Never saw something like that in real life: https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-2000xl-flo ... bles-used/

When you took the Floppy Drives from the old computer, where the floppy drives working. If the drives are working, next try a different IDE cable in the small port above the atapi/ide port. (The one you have it plugged in) The floppye ide cable is smaller i believe.
By Lazy Ray Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 am
Yeah man, correct! But it isn’t some exotic IDE ribbon cable with different setting right?
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:56 am
Lazy Ray wrote:Yeah man, correct! But it isn’t some exotic IDE ribbon cable with different setting right?

The pin on my oringial MPC floppy drive is 34 pin and it uses a 34 female to 34 female ide cable. Which fits into
the 34 Pin male connector on the board. Zoom in on the picture below that is where the original floppy ide cable went into. Which is: 34 female to 34 female ide cable.

If you need to buy one here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/34-Pin-Female-Connector-Driver-Ribbon/dp/B00Y20XTTS

Is your floppy drive 34 pins and do you have 34 female to 34 female ide cable?

By Lazy Ray Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 pm
@ CharlesRandolph I used that interface on the motherboard indeed, with the 34 pin cable.

@ peterpiper, I've tested two Samsung SFD-321B drives. Didn't had a clue I tested two identical drives, until you've asked me. You think this is the problem?

The ribbon cable I used had the same twist as in this picture I found on internet: https://i.stack.imgur.com/VYByP.png

I see there are also ribbon cables with 34 pins and no twist. What does the MPC use??

Kind regards!

EDIT: read on the internet that the twist forces a drive to be A:\, with no twist it is B:\. Don't think the Akai OS will bother?