Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Eightysix69 Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 am
I've watched every video, tried different cables, tried A and B channels, read the midi section of the manual and checked all my settings again and again.

I have a midi cable out of my 2KXL into my 18i20 in order to get the midi into Ableton. I have the External Instrument track set up and the proper midi channel set. Ableton says it's receiving midi from the XL when I hit pads, but the midi notes aren't being recorded into Ableton, that happens when I am not on the right midi channel. When I have Ableton on the correct midi channel and hit a pad, it starts a fast stutter/seizure like thing with the sound of whatever pad I'd hit. As soon as I change the channel to any other channel, the noise stops. Also, midi notes from Ableton are played fine on the XL so receiving is not an issue.

I think I read somewhere earlier that this means there is an issue with the midi out on the XL. I use the midi out on the XL to run multiple synths and drum machines with no issues. It's only when I attempt to record midi notes into Ableton that I have problems.

Any help is appreciated.
By tapedeck Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 pm
sounds like midi feedback.
you are hitting the pad on the mpc, sending midi to ableton, ableton is sending that midi back out and triggering the mpc, which sends the midi back into ableton....you get the idea?

i dont know the particulars of how that track works in ableton, but you need to either disable it sending midi out on anything but record, or you need to disable your mpc receiving midi when you are playing it.

usually, its called midi thru option or something like that.
By Eightysix69 Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 pm
Hey thanks a lot for the reply!

So I got what you said and set it up to where I turn off midi in when sending midi out and disable midi out when sending midi in. Works perfect.

Thank you.