Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By powerpcme Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm
tapedeck wrote:clean / reseat / replace your memory - first thing i'd try

Did this yesterday after reading another thread, I bought some new sticks on Ebay so hopefully it works. Not sure if it changes anything, but the left channel seems to be what's distorting, When it happens the right channel is clean but quiet.
By tapedeck Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 pm
well i hope thats the fix but it could be like a blown op-amp or something else in the actual hardware.
i had an old emu that did that - im not sure what the exact problem was.
well at least youll have clean memory to rule that out.
By powerpcme Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 pm
tapedeck wrote:well i hope thats the fix but it could be like a blown op-amp or something else in the actual hardware.
i had an old emu that did that - im not sure what the exact problem was.
well at least youll have clean memory to rule that out.

Yeah it's not the memory. I have narrowed what exactly happens. So when it first boots and you load up some samples the left channel slowly degrades with loud pops and clicks, So I unplug the left channel and it sounds fine on the right. After a while I plug the left channel back in and it's 100% fine and it stays good...until a power cycle that is......
By tapedeck Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:07 pm
i can definitely agree it sounds like a component issue, either op-amp or cap, but i cant help much beyond that without the machine.

try to isolate which components are for the bad channel and you can keep narrowing it down.

thanks for the update and good job figuring it out so far.