Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Dan Jose Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Hi Guys,

I've been learning how to setup my home studio and have run into a wall with midi. I work mainly on my MPC2K original and drum machines (which i can get all of them to sync together with my 2000 as master). I'm using Ableton 9 for recording and cleaning up and editing the tracks. I would just like to use Ableton to trigger my MPCso I can track everything out in time.

Im running an usb-midi cable out of my studio computer with the usb-midi output side into my MPC midi in (slot 1). And the usb-mini input side into my MPC Midi Out

On my MPC my midi settings are as follows
Sync out:
Midi Clock
Both AB out
MMC on

Sync In
Midi Clock
Input 1
MMC on

In ableton I set my preferences as follows

Input: USB Uno midi interface (track on)
Output: USB Uno Midi interface (track on, sync on)
sync type: midi clock
Midi Clock Type: Pattern

It just won't sync. If i press play in Ableton the MPC just doesn't fire.

I have a midi cable running out of the MPC, into a midi splitter box, and into my drum machines. If I play my MPC the drum machines sync fine.

I'm stuck. I have been looking online all afternoon but I'm exhausted and I cold really use some help!

Thanks for your time and help it is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Dan :WTF:
By Dan Jose Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:36 pm
Any input on this one? I've uninstalled ableton. and then reinstalled it. I've updated the m audio uno driver so the usb cable indicates it is sending midi out. Still can't get the mpc to sync though! Any help would be great i'm loosing my mind over here!
By tapedeck Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:24 pm
one thing at a time.
midi out from computer to ableton, midi in to mpc - make the mpc respond to sync.
once you get that, start adding complexity, but to solve this one problem, eliminate as many variables as you can.

you'll get there.

ps. as an alternative, what if you keep the mpc master and slave ableton to that? my advice above still stands - one thing at a time.
By Dan Jose Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:58 pm
Update!

So I tried running everything off my old laptop and ableton 8 triggered everything fine! (My studio computer is ableton 9) if I use my studio computer it doesn’t trigger anything.

I installed ableton 9 on my laptop and it still triggered everything fine so it’s not my software, or my midi-usb device (m audio uno) that is the problem.

I checked my usb hardware diagnostics and my studio computer does read the m-audio device.

So I’m a bit stuck now. I have tried multiple usb slots on my studio comp (2008 Mac Pro with upgraded ram, ssd boot drive and a 2tb hard drive) and no dice. If I plug in a midi usb keyboard it reads that fine. It’s literally only the m-audio device that is giving me grief.

Could it be a power issue? My laptop says it can supply 100 mA power through its USB ports (have yet to check my mac tower.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

I’m glad I’ve narrowed it down though.

Best,

Dan
By Dan Jose Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am
Just an update.

After all this process of elimination it is indeed the m audio cable. It’s not compatible with El Capitan even though it is stated that it is. That was the only conclusion I could come to and I was confirmed as correct. I bought the Roland usb-midi cable and it works fine.What a waste of time. Cussed out m audio on Twitter for all the bullshit they caused. :vomit:

Dan