Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 909BLN Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:22 am
Hi,

sadly someone scammed me on ebay and sold me a "fully functional" mpc 2000xl with a broken cursor-down knob. It just doesnt respond at all. Anyway i am willing to repair this myself. I ordered this here from ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-SWITCH-TA ... 2749.l2648

My second question. I am looking for a really cheap but functional card reader. Is this one working for a 2000XL?
https://www.conrad.de/de/schnittstellen ... 74837.html
I read in a forum that a user hat success using this one. Is there maybe something cheaper available in the european/german market? Which cables/adapter i need to buy aditionally for this one?

thanks in advance
By 909BLN Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm
repaired today the knobs. was super easy actually! a bit of a struggle to solder the old ones out cause the mainboard is stuck with a cable and u have to do everything by holding the mainboard vertically which was a bit annoying..

anyone can help out with the sd card reader?
By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 am
That looks like the Startech/Addonics card reader that does work well on the MPC2000XL.
You have to first upgrade your 2000XL to OS v1.2 before installing this type of card reader or the card reader won't work.
By 909BLN Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:That looks like the Startech/Addonics card reader that does work well on the MPC2000XL.
You have to first upgrade your 2000XL to OS v1.2 before installing this type of card reader or the card reader won't work.

ok just ordered this and i read San Disk cards work well. Does the size matter? I would order a 32GB sc card.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B002G12OBO/ref ... =UTF8&th=1
Will this work or is it too big?
By JVC Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm
That should work, but remember that ONLY 1GB of the card can be partitioned. 2000XL cannot handle larger than 1GB partition.
By 909BLN Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 pm
JVC wrote:That should work, but remember that ONLY 1GB of the card can be partitioned. 2000XL cannot handle larger than 1GB partition.

ok also good to know. will go for a 2nd hand then on ebay. and yes i have to be extra sure that its technically OK if you buy this on the 2nd hand market. is 5-10€ there, so..
By 909BLN Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 am
so basically it looks like this now but the bigger cable is not fitting. do i need to buy an adapter here or how i proceed? where to buy what?

By JUKE 179r Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 am
Like ontherun stated, you need an IDE 40 pin female connector ribbon cable for that card reader. Not the 34 pin floppy cable.
By 909BLN Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 am
JUKE 179r wrote:Like ontherun stated, you need an IDE 40 pin female connector ribbon cable for that card reader. Not the 34 pin floppy cable.

something like this will not fit right? It would fit in the CF Card Reader but not into the MPC Mainboard cause the plug there is without a block in the middle if you get what i mean.

By 909BLN Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm
hi so i got the right cable.
i tried it to connect everything. looked fine for me and put the CF card inside.
then i started the mpc up and tried to select ATAPI in LOAD but it doesnt find it. It only finds floppy and F-ROM and saying always "no floppy detected"...

Did i connect the CF Reader maybe wrong or where do u think is the mistake?

this is the connection i did with the new cable (i used exactly this 40pin cable which u can see a post above)

And of course i have installed OS 1.2 before. so it should recognize it, no?!
By JVC Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:25 pm
Checked your pics. The Jumper setting seems to be wrong. It is set as a slave IDE device.
On your CF reader, find "JP3" jumper (where the small black cap is), there are 3-pins there, set to "MAS".
Make sure that CF card is inserted (make a partition with your MPC) before boot your MPC-2000XL.