Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By I AM Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 am
First up I appreciate the help.

I am currently using Logic Pro X with the Akai MPK 261. Which is going great. But I make 90's, gritty, Boom Bap beats (and rap), (I pretty much only use samples not software instruments) and want something that will bring me closer to that era, and give me a timbre and workflow that is best for that style, as well as a more hands on feel.
So I'm thinking, either the 2000 or the XL. I plan on using the MPC after I've chopped my samples in Logic. Then composing the beat on the MPC. (So I wont be keeping any files on the MPC, so the XL's better storage system isnt a factor in choosing the Classic or XL). After that I'll bring the beat back into Logic for further sound manipulation, editing, mixing, and mastering.

Logic has all the functions the XL gives that the Classic lacks (Pretty much right?). And I much prefer the idea, price (lol), and look of the Classic. The only reason I haven't gone with it already is 'cause the XL can resample to 12 bit, which is pretty crucial to what I want to do with much drums.
So one of my main questions is, is there another software program (preferably cheap of free), where I would be able to resample to 12 and even 8 bits? (You cant in Logic). If so would it sound identical to the way the XL resamples or does the XL give it its own feel when doing so?

If I can find a program to do this with then I cant see much of a reason to go with the XL for what I want to do. But in case I'm missing something, is there any reason why I should go with the XL over the classic, even when I have Logics capabilities? (Though it would be nice to be able to do as much as possible in the MPC).

(Thought it might help you when answering to know that I'm getting my sounds from sample packs off splice, not records.)

Additional questions:

How much faster is the XL than the classic?

Does the Classic really have a grittier sound?

Will getting an effects board be necessary? (I would like to be able to do as much as I can in the MPC, but $250 ish AU is a bit pricy)

Is there a better analog piece of equipment for what I want to do, that is around that price range?

What has your experience with your MPC been? how does it compare to DAW's?

Whats a good price for the Classic and XL? (Preferably in Australian).

Sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate the help. Peace!
By Dan Jose Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:15 pm
Hi Man,

I have an mpc2k classsic and I use it with ableton. I don't have the answer to all your questions but I can share my experience. Saving and loading on the mpc2k is really slow by today's standards. Sampling on it is really fun. I prefer to sample on the mpc rather than ableton. My mpc2k has the gotek floppy emulator which is really handy. It allows me to save onto a usb (although only across multiple 1.44mb folders. A lot of people complain about floppy emulators on the mpc2k (and I understand why) but I believe I have finally learned all the nuances. So if you can find one of those and learn how to use the gotek and the software that comes with it that will make using your mpc much faster and easier than floppy discs.

I would also use the mpc2k with an old mixing desk. I generally sample everything in the mpc, make rough sequences in it, and then track it out to Ableton. Then I track out each individual sample so I have a digital backup of all my samples and sequences in my ableton project folder. From there if I don't continue building in the mpc I focus more on the arrangements.

If your mixer has enough in's and outs you can run your soundcard out from your pc/mac and back into your mixer so you can then re sample them into the mpc if loading them is too slow or if the mpc has murdered an important program file or song sequence.

I guess in terms of modern machinery it is pretty limited, but it is definitely more of an instrument than most of the gizmos and devices coming out now. Someone online put it succinctly when they said that they couldn't help shake the feeling that a lot of new gear is really just a computer disguised as something else. The mpc is great for feeling the tracks you are making. It can be just like freestyling with any instrument on the fly. The more work you put into the mpc the less work you have to do on a computer clicking and dragging things around.

The perk of using it with a DAW is that you can focus on effects, fades, and arrangements in computer, and you can work the soul and guts into the track in the mpc. That's how i'm learning to use it at least.

And for tracking out i run a roland usb to midi cable to the mpc. So i can track everything out into ableton in sync.

Dan
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:41 pm
I AM wrote:First up I appreciate the help.

I am currently using Logic Pro X with the Akai MPK 261. Which is going great.!

If Logic and MPK is going great for you. Stick to that and master it. The 90's Boom Bap sound is not in the machines, it's in your ear. Dig for the right records, find the samples, find the right bass, tempo, swing, chop the right drums, and don't over produce the music.
By I AM Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 pm
Dan Jose wrote:Hi Man,

I have an mpc2k classsic and I use it with ableton. I don't have the answer to all your questions but I can share my experience. Saving and loading on the mpc2k is really slow by today's standards. Sampling on it is really fun. I prefer to sample on the mpc rather than ableton. My mpc2k has the gotek floppy emulator which is really handy. It allows me to save onto a usb (although only across multiple 1.44mb folders. A lot of people complain about floppy emulators on the mpc2k (and I understand why) but I believe I have finally learned all the nuances. So if you can find one of those and learn how to use the gotek and the software that comes with it that will make using your mpc much faster and easier than floppy discs.

I would also use the mpc2k with an old mixing desk. I generally sample everything in the mpc, make rough sequences in it, and then track it out to Ableton. Then I track out each individual sample so I have a digital backup of all my samples and sequences in my ableton project folder. From there if I don't continue building in the mpc I focus more on the arrangements.

If your mixer has enough in's and outs you can run your soundcard out from your pc/mac and back into your mixer so you can then re sample them into the mpc if loading them is too slow or if the mpc has murdered an important program file or song sequence.

I guess in terms of modern machinery it is pretty limited, but it is definitely more of an instrument than most of the gizmos and devices coming out now. Someone online put it succinctly when they said that they couldn't help shake the feeling that a lot of new gear is really just a computer disguised as something else. The mpc is great for feeling the tracks you are making. It can be just like freestyling with any instrument on the fly. The more work you put into the mpc the less work you have to do on a computer clicking and dragging things around.

The perk of using it with a DAW is that you can focus on effects, fades, and arrangements in computer, and you can work the soul and guts into the track in the mpc. That's how i'm learning to use it at least.

And for tracking out i run a roland usb to midi cable to the mpc. So i can track everything out into ableton in sync.

Dan

I appreciate the thought out response Dan. Its good to get some more info on that.
Wait so will I need a mixer to run my MPC? Or to run it with the computer?
By I AM Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:14 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
I AM wrote:First up I appreciate the help.

I am currently using Logic Pro X with the Akai MPK 261. Which is going great.!

If Logic and MPK is going great for you. Stick to that and master it. The 90's Boom Bap sound is not in the machines, it's in your ear. Dig for the right records, find the samples, find the right bass, tempo, swing, chop the right drums, and don't over produce the music.

Thanks for your input.