Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Niasoey Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 pm
Hey MPC Forums,

New user here. Just picked up a 2000xl, excited to put it to use.

I was going through some tests and found that the right stereo output is not working. Another interesting thing is the headphone out’s right side is out too.

When I turn the master volume up and I play a sound, you can hear it clearly in the left, and some sort of “white noise” on the right. That leads me to believe signal is hitting that side.

I took apart the back panel and tried tightening the screws around the outputs but to no avail. I also tried cleaning it a bit.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Nias
By JUKE 179r Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 am
It’s possibly a cold solder joint not making connection on the circuit board for each output jacks. I’ve seen this a bunch of times in the past. it’s a simple fix by soldering the jacks back onto the circuit board.
Are you good with disassembling your MPC and soldering?
By Niasoey Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:It’s possibly a cold solder joint not making connection on the circuit board for each output jacks. I’ve seen this a bunch of times in the past. it’s a simple fix by soldering the jacks back onto the circuit board.
Are you good with disassembling your MPC and soldering?

Hey thanks for the reply,

I'm confident in disassembling my MPC. I've never soldered myself though i have been in studios where techs were doing it all the time so i understand the concept. Is this something I would be able to learn myself and do the fix?

Thanks man
By tapedeck Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 pm
does it change when you adjust the volume knob?
this could be your pot - if its the same problem on output and headphone, and there is a scratchy noise, it could be the volume pot.
clean it out, rotate it a bunch to clean it, or replace it.
By Niasoey Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 pm
tapedeck wrote:does it change when you adjust the volume knob?
this could be your pot - if its the same problem on output and headphone, and there is a scratchy noise, it could be the volume pot.
clean it out, rotate it a bunch to clean it, or replace it.

Nothing happens when I turn the volume knob. No scratching at all. When i play a sample, you can hear this "white noise" that follows the sample...if that makes sense.
By JUKE 179r Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 am
yeah... it sounds more like it needs to be resoldered back onto the circuit board OR the volume knob is totally bad (which I've never seen before).
By tapedeck Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 pm
yea this one is a mystery to me - i've had it before in another sampler and the best guess i could get was a blown op-amp. which one tho? i don't know enough about the details to speculate.
By Niasoey Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:47 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:yeah... it sounds more like it needs to be resoldered back onto the circuit board OR the volume knob is totally bad (which I've never seen before).

I took a picture of the PCB board, and it looks like the solder is ok? I'm not an expert though. Do you suggest still desolder/solder the connection to test it out?

Image:
https://ibb.co/kjJLa0
By richie Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 am
That corrosion on one of the jacks does not look right / normal to me. Show the top side of it as well.
By tapedeck Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm
one way to test if it is the pot is to open it up, take some bare wire going to some headphones, ground one side and then touch the other side to the correct pin on the input of the pot. if it sounds ok before the pot, its the pot.
By Niasoey Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:46 am
richie wrote:That corrosion on one of the jacks does not look right / normal to me. Show the top side of it as well.

Here are some better pictures, hope they work:

One thing i also did was check the 8 out expansion card i have, and to my surprise, these stereo samples (came with the mpc) are dead on the right as well. Is it at all possible it has anything to do with the samples on the floppy?
By Niasoey Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 am
tapedeck wrote:one way to test if it is the pot is to open it up, take some bare wire going to some headphones, ground one side and then touch the other side to the correct pin on the input of the pot. if it sounds ok before the pot, its the pot.

I'll give this a try too thanks
By tapedeck Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:04 am
Niasoey wrote:One thing i also did was check the 8 out expansion card i have, and to my surprise, these stereo samples (came with the mpc) are dead on the right as well. Is it at all possible it has anything to do with the samples on the floppy?

this right here tells me its not hardware at all. it's either the samples or maybe the memory.

but excellent deduction work - if the right side is **** up on all outputs, its very likely a problem in the software layer - i can't imagine all that hardware shares a common component or is all bad.

do you have a way to save the samples and then open them on a computer to check them? a card reader or something would help.
By Niasoey Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 am
tapedeck wrote:
Niasoey wrote:One thing i also did was check the 8 out expansion card i have, and to my surprise, these stereo samples (came with the mpc) are dead on the right as well. Is it at all possible it has anything to do with the samples on the floppy?

this right here tells me its not hardware at all. it's either the samples or maybe the memory.

but excellent deduction work - if the right side is **** up on all outputs, its very likely a problem in the software layer - i can't imagine all that hardware shares a common component or is all bad.

do you have a way to save the samples and then open them on a computer to check them? a card reader or something would help.

Ah i see. Interesting.

I do not have a way to get those samples to my computer at the moment. But I imagine i will need a floppy reader. Do you think its a little bit risky to upgrade to the CF reader right now? Seeing that there are issues with software at the moment? I have read you need to update the MPC software as well before installing a CF reader.

Thanks!
By Lampdog Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am
Don't worry about getting a sample to the computer, lol.

Just sample a fresh sound into the mpc itself and test your outputs with that.

I fixed your pic links. You would right click on the pics and "copy link location" is what you need to copy and post here. Wanna see how it's done, just QUOTE your pic post and look at the text.