Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By instantlemons Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 pm
So I just installed a card reader that I got from MPCStuff and now when I power the MPC on the screen goes blank and all of the lights turn on. Is my MPC ruined or is there a fix?
By Lampdog Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:10 pm
Either there is a jumper setting that needs to be done/undone or the data cable is not keyed and is backwards. Keyed means there is only 1 way to connect the data ribbon.
This has happened to me before, all lights on.
By JVC Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:03 pm
instantlemons wrote:So I just installed a card reader that I got from MPCStuff and now when I power the MPC on the screen goes blank and all of the lights turn on. Is my MPC ruined or is there a fix?

I remember that it happened to my MPC2000XL, when tried to boot my MPC with a incompatible Compact Flash card (most of non-Sandisk brand CF cards do not work with my MPC-2000XL.). Mine is Addonics IDE non-swappable CF reader.

First, you need to isolate the issue;
1. try boot without CF card inserted.

2. remove the card reader, and see if it can boot properly. (by removing, just remove the ribbon cable and power cable)

3. I recommend using Sandisk CF card. (Beware of counterfeit memory cards! Fake cards do not work with MPCs.)

4, if you still have booting issue, then I would disconnect all the options; SIMM memory, 8-out board, SCSI device (if it is connected), effect board. (this is a process of narrowing down the possible culprit.)
Then try boot again.