Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By SlapR Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:17 pm
Hey,
so I opened up my MPC 2000xl the other day to fix my 8 outs, which I got to work (By unplugging and replugging the ribbon cable). The thing is, now out of nowhere, sometimes when I start my MPC 2000xl, it gets stuck on the loading/waiting screen. When I unscrew the back panel, unplug and replug the ribbon cable for the 8 outs, it works again (sometimes, or it takes a really long time to load)

There's another issue that started since I got my 8 outs to work. Out of nowhere when I'm playing with my MPC, all the pads that have sounds start to make some weird buzzing/cracking/whistling sounds that don't resemble the sample at all (just really anoying sounds/ I'm thinking I might have something to do with something I touched because it started after I opened the back panel last week). When I close the MPC, the sound is fixed for a while (or it gets stuck on waiting screen and I have to unplug/replug 8 outs ribbon cable).

This time, the 8 outs unplugging and replugging didn't work (to get passed the wait screen), so I left it unplugged and unplugged/replugged my zip reader's ribbon cable. Now it would open but it says that No Floppy Device when I try to load. (I saw other similar posts but it's with people who have a CF card reader). I have the 1.2 os installed, and the zip disk reader lights up and makes noise when I insert a disk so it should be properly connected I guess. I just don't get the ATAPI option when I go in the load/setup screen.
What can I try? thanks

If anyone has an idea of what I can try, please help
By SlapR Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 am
Thanks that what I thought it was from seeing other posts. But I disconnected the zip card reader (I figured I could make beats with my MPC anyways if I can finish them in a day or two and put them in my computer, without saving). I've played with my MPC for many hours since and I haven't had the weird sounds anymore so I guess it had to do with that. Anyways I ordered a new zip card reader (I know everyone talks about getting the CF but I got like 60 zip cards so I'll keep going with that).
By SlapR Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 am
Also, I got my 8 outputs to work. But then sometimes I close my MPC, reopen it and than they don't work. I unplug the ribbon cable, replug it and then it works. Today, when I went in the mixer settings of my MPC 2k, I was getting the option to asign pads to different outputs when I had the 8 outputs ribbon connector disconnected which doesn't make sense (I thought you only got the option when it was connected).
By JUKE 179r Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am
SlapR wrote:Anyways I ordered a new zip card reader (I know everyone talks about getting the CF but I got like 60 zip cards so I'll keep going with that).

What Zip Drive and disks are you using? 100? 250? 750?
In my vast experience, if you really want to keep a Zip drive in your 2000XL, go with a Zip750 floppy drive. I've never had a Zip750 drive fail on me in the MPC2000XL's and Roland SP-808/EX I've modded for myself and for clients. The only problem with the Zip750 drive is that it only reads Zip100 disks and doesn't save to them. So if you have a bunch of Zip100 disks you are kinda screwed.
Zip750 > Zip250 > Zip100

SlapR wrote:Also, I got my 8 outputs to work. But then sometimes I close my MPC, reopen it and than they don't work. I unplug the ribbon cable, replug it and then it works. Today, when I went in the mixer settings of my MPC 2k, I was getting the option to asign pads to different outputs when I had the 8 outputs ribbon connector disconnected which doesn't make sense (I thought you only got the option when it was connected).

Make sure your 8-outs card is fully grounded and screwed to the frame and posts. I've seen plenty of glitchy 8-out cards because the owner only used 1 or 2 screws to mount it inside the MPC2000XL.
Some people (including myself) install an additional ground wire for the 8-outs card.
By SlapR Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 am
Thanks for the replies. My 8 outputs seem to be working fine for now, I hope it'll stay like that. I figure it might have to do with the ribbon connector being a little loose (so it might loose its proper contact when I move the MPC or hit it too hard). Also, for the buzzing/whistling/crackling sounds that happen sometimes, those sounds didn't happen at all when I had my zip drive disconnected (and I played with my MPC for a while with it being like that). Now I just received a new zip drive (250mb) and it works fine but the random sounds are coming back. Like Lampdog said above, it probably has to do with the ram so I'll clean the sticks or order new ones. I was just wondering why it only happens when I have a zip drive connected, and didn't happen for the couple of weeks where it wasn't. Thanks
By Lampdog Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 am
Before spending money, I'd clean the RAM pins, air clean the slots, make sure RAM is seated firmly.
While the MPC is open, make sure ALL cables, connections, ports are clean, seated firmly. That would be my first step. I remember even taking off the pads and cleaning everything I could.

I have a 2kxlse2 (orange). When I bought it I had flopp and fx card, went to 250zip and while upgrading I cleaned and re-seated everything, went to ATAPI MCD and while in there cleaned and re-seated everything. ATAPI MCD was the BEST thing I've ever did for my 2kxlse2.