Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Sirwillyus Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am
What I'm trying to do is simple. I've loaded a project. Now I just want to be able to add programs to it. As I'm building a sequence, add programs I have previously saved. Example: I have a folder with tom samples/programs I need to incorporate into the current project I'm working on.
Thus far I am unable to add groups of sounds to an existing project. It wants to replace the programs I am using. How does one combine preexisting programs with a current project?
By Lampdog Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 am
2kxl can have 4 active programs. You loaded a PGM, cool, load a 2nd PGM and it pushes your old PGM to DRUM2. The manual tells you this. You can load 4 PGM's assign them in the main menu to whatever track you want. You gotta get into the manual while pushing those buttons you are reading about. You have the option to move any PGM to any DRUM if you want.

Change PGM assignment in main menu or change PGM in DRUM. Your sounds are not lost.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm
yea make sure you save / load PGM files not APS files if you are trying to work with programs individually.

save the aps once you have all your programs how you like.
By Sirwillyus Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:03 am
So, Yes and thank you. I get it now, loading another program pushes the current one to drum 2. Back to what I'm attempting: If I start a sequence, let's say simply, kick, snare, & high hats. Tracks 1,2,&3. Making great progress! Now, Let's add a conga program! Loading my conga program... Now that the conga program is loaded, my kick, snare, HH pattern plays the conga program sounds instead of the beat I had going on. Yes, the original program gets pushed to DRUM 2, but I lose all of my pattern work. I guess I could re-assign all of the tracks to the correct DRUM (time consuming, with my deeply sophisticated, pattern ). But, next, when I load another program, it doesn't add/push the program to DRUM 3 either.
That manual is CRAZY by the way. I have simple needs.
I appreciate the time you've spent already and I intend on getting to the bottom of this.
Help is considered a gift. Thank you again in advance.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 pm
Sirwillyus wrote:So, Yes and thank you. I get it now, loading another program pushes the current one to drum 2.

not entirely true. it loads the program into whatever 'drum' slot you tell it to.

Sirwillyus wrote:Back to what I'm attempting: If I start a sequence, let's say simply, kick, snare, & high hats. Tracks 1,2,&3. Making great progress! Now, Let's add a conga program! Loading my conga program... Now that the conga program is loaded, my kick, snare, HH pattern plays the conga program sounds instead of the beat I had going on. Yes, the original program gets pushed to DRUM 2, but I lose all of my pattern work.

when you go to program screen the first thing it asks you is which drum slot you want to edit. say your kick snare and hh program are on drum1, well then just choose drum2 when you go into program mode, and then set drum2 to yer conga program. if you have to use the 'load' screen because you didnt already have your congas loaded into memory, then its still a very simple fix to go into program edit, select drum1, and set that back to yer kick/snare/hh program.

Sirwillyus wrote:I guess I could re-assign all of the tracks to the correct DRUM (time consuming, with my deeply sophisticated, pattern ). But, next, when I load another program, it doesn't add/push the program to DRUM 3 either.

again you are misunderstanding how it works. you don't need to do this editing that you suggest, but if you did, it would take maybe 30 seconds to set the correct drum assignment on every track the sequence could handle. yes its time consuming, a whole minute maybe, get used to it or try a different mpc.

Sirwillyus wrote:That manual is CRAZY by the way. I have simple needs.

its really not that bad, and yes your needs are simple, but you've got some false roadblocks holding you back. just adjust your methods slightly and you will be able to do what you want very simply.

one final note, i would probably squeeze my congas and drums into the same program, likely on a different pad bank, but THAT would be a time consuming thing to set up at this point (maybe 5 minutes to manually copy an entire program pad by pad once you get in the groove).
By Lampdog Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:25 pm
I was guessing OP wasn't telling PGM where to load and defaults to DRUM1.

Yep, takes about 30 secs to reprogram these simple things like Tapedeck state.

And Wal, this is why you prefer 2k classic, that's odd to me. It would have to be a bigger issue than that for me. I understand it though.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 pm
Lampdog wrote:I was guessing OP wasn't telling PGM where to load and defaults to DRUM1

i think they are loading the PGMs via the 'load' page, and so it is just taking over whatever the active DRUM slot is. just guessing though...

to the op, one other tip, when in program edit, make sure yer loaded programs have a unique program number, then you can use the pgm field on a track to make sure the correct program is loaded to each DRUM slot.
By Wal Martian Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Lampdog wrote:
And Wal, this is why you prefer 2k classic, that's odd to me. It would have to be a bigger issue than that for me. I understand it though.

It's just less button presses. 1 program has 16 pads x 4 banks. I've never made a beat with more than 64 sounds in it. I do use my 2000xl the most for sampling. Lately I just record the sounds out to my PC for later use. Lately I make lots and lots of beats on Garageband on my iPhone 7
By Lampdog Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
Wal Dog wrote:Lately I make lots and lots of beats on iPad, half ass complete and erase after 2-3 weeks of **** widdit.