Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
ByOpenMindMusic Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:45 am
I was checking the tutorials and they may touch this subject a little but its not exactly what I'm looking for. I always get mixed reponse on the issue so I'd like to know what everyone thinks..

I used to make beats on an old akai S01 sampler, using a midi keyboard and playing out the sounds from the sampler. Now I have my MPC2000 midi'd to my old ensonic vfx keyboard and I would like to do the same thing. I would like to take a sample (any sample but lets say a jazz piano loop for example) then I would like to map that sample across the keyboard just like I was playing the 16 level pads, but on the keyboard. is there a fast and easy way to do this????

so far when I midi my keyboard, all I can figure out is having each sound in a program play on a different key.

detailed instructions will help.. thanks in advance!

By MPC-Tutor Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:15 pm
There's no quick way to map out samples so they run in order on a MIDI keyboard - you have to do it all manually by assigning one note at a time

ByOpenMindMusic Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:43 pm
I dont understand how this was available on the akai S01, but not on the there advanced MPC ??

On the S01, I could take the sample and specify which keys I wanted the sample to start and end..

By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:07 am
It's because the MPC is primarily a MIDI sequencer, and then a Drum sampler. A drum sampler has no need to be able to handle musical notes and keys (hence the inability to bend internal samples). The pre-MPC4000 range were never designed to be fully fledged samplers

Bysug Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:19 pm
here's a suggestion to your problem. i was having the same problem and posted it on this sight. i didn't quite get the answer i was looking for but it helped me realize what the Tutor is talking about. so, to make matters simple, do you own a computer running any sofware? if you do, just play soft synth plug-ins and add them to your project. i don't know if this helps in any way but its what i ended up doing. call me a lazy canuk, but i don't want to sit and assign each individual note into my board. :P

By mpc3000 Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:17 am
First, is there some reason why your particular question is `important` and the others not?

Second, why rearrange the note arrangement in the first place? It is much easier to map your samples to the default layout that is there. You are just creating MORE work for yourself.

Regardless, it is a DRUM sampler. It is not designed for keymapping (whis is actaully what you want). I keep a S2000 around for real sampler functions. You should have kept your s01.

ByOpenMindMusic Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:14 am
first. never said others "were not important"

second: i'm not looking for more work I'm looking for less and asking if anyone has any ideas or techniques for doing this. keep in mind I'm sort of new to using the mpc.

third: the s01 was borrowed, but I guess now I will look into a good computer sampler that can do what I want it to do..

fourth: thanks everyone for the info!