Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By mjk Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:02 pm
anyone know about the zip problem - 'click of Death'?

I've had some corrupt data on discs that made my mpc crash, and my 250meg zip drive does make a clicking noise every so often (for no reason, like when its not doing anything).

However i did start using the mpc editor around the same time and thought it could be that giving me dodgy data.

I'm not sure what to do, i've just been using floppies recently because i don't want to lose loads of data again

any ideas?

By -{n8}- Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:08 pm
Nortin has some great disk recovery tools. I once had a "click of death" zip that I thought was toast... I tried the Nortin disk recovery and was able to back up my data before ditching the disk. It's worth a shot give it a try. I haven't had that problem since and the only time that it did happen to me was when I recorded straight to zip from computer. I guess it was too much to handle but in any case problem solved. Make sure you also format and or defrag a zip before starting a new project.

Hope that helps,

1-0ne

By mjk Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:33 am
yep, thanks for the tip i'll check out Nortin.

did you carry on using the same zip drive? i thought that the click of death problem was from the actual drive- not the disk.

The other thing is- i wondered how you de-frag a zip, i haven't got one on my pc just a scsi one on the mp, it would be good to know though for furure reference

thanks

By -{n8}- Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:01 am
Well if you are checking out Nortin you'll have to have a PC zip anyway so that's where you would defrag.. not sure it's possible on the mpc but I could be wrong. I seen sh*t in the manual about defragging Flash Rom so perhaps it will apply to this as well (doubt very much though). I'm also not sure the "click of death" is a hardware problem.. perhaps it is.. I just remember looking at the disk afterwards and I saw a big chunk missing from the magnetic disk inside. I think the click of death occurs when disks are not handled properly and carelessly thrown around. The components start to break down and cause error. That or the environment plays apart too as well as connections being made.

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/30109.html

Good luck
Last edited by -{n8}- on Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

By mjk Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:18 pm
thanks.

I found some more info and there is a guy whos written a program to analyse if you are going to get any problems. you might already have it.......http://grc.com/tip/codfaq3.htm

By -{n8}- Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:46 am
np bro glad to help.

I've also heard somewhere that installing and reinstalling a "click of death" zip drive helps if problems persist but I can't really confirm that... but hey at least it's nice to know you have options. :roll:

1-0ne