Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By dryad-66 Thu May 23, 2019 8:05 am
S0 i bought a 2000 classic and for a week or 2 it was fine but then turned it on and it showed no sample recording memory so i opened her up and took the 2 16 mb sticks out and reseated them.Then worked ok for a minute......to cut a long story short it happened again with various messed up results,in and out they went single and swapping positions but ultimately it ended with just the 2 mb.So i ordered some more sticks,put them in but it only read one stick (but that was corrupted in use too),again in and out but same problems.So now i got the 2 mb only again.......I dont think its dirty contacts but i will try and clean them ect.Ant idea of other problems?happened to anyone before?OS? Running 1.70 atm,thanx\

edit-strange thing is it worked fine when i got it...
By mr_debauch Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 am
i think you can even put in a 32 meg single chip in there.. no? try a few out.. but for now maybe swap the slot you put the sticks in... try with just 1 inserted to see what happens.

also, are the specs of your ram correct?
By dryad-66 Thu May 23, 2019 12:09 pm
I tried different ram chips and ones i bought from a akai ram dealer.It was working fine and just started happening.......I also tried singular in different slots.Something strange going on....

Every time i move the chips around i have a different problem like-no ram sample space available at all,or one stick shows sample ram space but no sample after recording or just the 2 mb ram available ectectect.The inbuilt 2 mb on its own with out chips installed works great lol.Better than nothing haha
By Lampdog Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 pm
Remove all ram, get a mobile phone light and get down into the ram connections, see if there is something in there stopping ram from connecting to pins.

Redo OS.
By dryad-66 Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 pm
tapedeck wrote:get new ram. its cheap.

I stated i already did that.Its not the ram.unless all 4 sticks used suddenly crapped out together.

Remove all ram, get a mobile phone light and get down into the ram connections, see if there is something in there stopping ram from connecting to pins.

Probably the best idea.
By richie Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 pm
Buy a can of electronic contact cleaner spray from Walmart and go over those ram contacts. That cleaner will remove any debris you can't see and is electronically safe, it's what I use for all my mainboard type of cleaning.

Also keep in mind that removing all ram will let you load samples as there is 2mb on board memory. It'll be a good indication to test that way to determine if it's the ram (I don't believe it is as you have tried several sticks) or another related issue.
By Lampdog Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 am
After RAM pin and slot cleaning test each stick you have separately and in diff slots, try to think of all variations and test all by creatin a simple kick snare beat, save it, power down, reload it. The whole 9 yrds EACH TIME. Write down which sticks work where, EVERYTIME and you will find what's wrong. You already said it works with no sticks 2mb default mobo ram so that is a good sign. Only thing left after that would be corrupt OS.

Process of elimination to weed out all possibilities can most time save you money, takes time but it's worth it to go through the steps.

Document everything.

Use colored pencils, tape, whatever.
By tapedeck Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 pm
dryad-66 wrote:I stated i already did that.Its not the ram.unless all 4 sticks used suddenly crapped out together.

sorry i cant read.
still, stranger things have happened, but yea at this point it sounds like a problem in the machine so...

amen
By dryad-66 Fri May 24, 2019 7:08 pm
Looked and cleaned the connections and still the same.Unless all four chips are gone my only avenue left it seems is update the OS.Im already bidding on a usb floppy drive.£2.50 atm and closing :P
By richie Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 am
You still didn't answer if you tried loading samples without the ram. Please take the time to actually read and respond otherwise its pointless trying to help you out man.

Spend $5-10 and get yourself a USB Floppy drive. That way you can create your own disks whenever, back up disks whenever, import, backup, export samples.

MPC 2000 floppies are FAT so they work on Windows and MAC just fine.
By dryad-66 Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 am
dryad-66 wrote:.So now i got the 2 mb only again......

Im already bidding on a usb floppy drive.£2.50 atm and closing :P

I did state this actually.maybe not totally clear.I won the floppy drive for £5.50 including postage and will load her up with OS1.72 (?) and see what happens.Just wondering if anyones seen this kind of problem before considering it does not seem like the rams at fault.Thanx for responding yall.