Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 am
Hello there, I just got a 2000xl, looks almost unused, came with one floppy disk which had some samples on it, worked fine, i took the samples off and replaced them with my own from laptop, still worked fine.
did the same again today and when i tried to load files i just got an unknown file type message. a couple of the files i tried to put on were the wrong type, i quickly figured that out and got rid of them but i still just get the same message. have double and triple checked the file types bit rates wav hz etc etc.... all looks fine. spent a good few hours messing around with this now... ended up formatting the floppy in the mpc and still just get uknown file type... even converted files to SND and loaded some of the original/previous files but same message every time.
is this something anyone has experience with? is just that floppy is screwed now? ive got some more floppies on the way but damn i was really in the mood to make some beats asap.
Thanks for reading.
By JUKE 179r Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm
Recheck your audio files aren't 24bit. They won't work on the 2000XL and you'll get an error.
Try 16bit audio samples or lower.
Also... how did you save you samples as .snd files? There is a big difference between saving as an AKAI .snd format and as an old Apple Macintosh .snd file format.
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:Recheck your audio files aren't 24bit. They won't work on the 2000XL and you'll get an error.
Try 16bit audio samples or lower.
Also... how did you save you samples as .snd files? There is a big difference between saving as an AKAI .snd format and as an old Apple Macintosh .snd file format.

Thanks for the reply, I did say that i double and triple checked the bit rates etc, theyre all 16bit and when i put the samples that were previously working back on to the floppy, the mpc still comes up with the same error. I converted to snd with a program called AWAVE, when i select snd they are saved as au files.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 pm
Go back into AWAVE with your samples, save all samples as PCM, WAV, 44khz,16bit.
This is the file type your mpc likes.

SND is tricky and there is more than one type, just leave SND alone and go with WAV.
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:14 pm
thanks, i appreciate the reply. They are already pcm/wav 16 bit 44.1...... theres only about 7 or 8 files none longer than 2 seconds lol. i just loaded them up into AWAVE as you suggested, to convert them, but they are already in that format. plus, its not loading files that it previous read without any issue whatsoever. any idea if its possible that because i loaded one wrong file type onto the floppy its now just mash up the floppy entirely? remember i have already tried formatting the floppy. am i missing something here?
By Lampdog Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:22 pm
Do you have another editor besides Awave?
Audacity
Goldwave
https://www.musicianonamission.com/best ... io-editor/

If the files are already 44/16/wav then they should be able to load up into these without a problem.

Reseating your RAM?

Have you also tried reloading your OS?

I've had this problem before on my 2kxl and reopening and resaving to 44/16/pcm wav has always worked for me. I have done this with Goldwave, Audacity, Sound Forge, Awave and many others before.
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:32 pm
hmm.... this is doing my nut in. i just tried your suggestion, first just with one file and it worked!!
so i tried it with all of them and its only gone and gone back to unknown file type.
im a new mpc user so its a big learning curve getting my head round this.
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:43 pm
i have downloaded free audio converter from sourceforge but cant seem to find any options for pcm/bitrate etc.... just says windows wave file
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:57 pm
ook no i'm getting somewhere... tried loading it up without putting the files into a folder.... now i just gotta work out why its not seeing all the files. thanks for the help so far :)
By Lampdog Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm
Aiight, so let's get the file structure of the floppy straightened out.

Put your samples, APS, ALL, PGM, MID, SEQ all in the same folder.

When you save APS and/or PGM it will remember the same sample files names it was saved with.
IF you renamed any files APS and PGM will not reload properly because it won't be able to find the original filenames. Is that the problem?

MPC cannot read through folders so you need to have everything associated with the same project in the same folder.
By tapedeck Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:36 pm
dont name your files anything longer than 8 characters - this will corrupt your disk and make those files vanish.
do not save as snd, save as wav. do not convert to snd. avoid anything snd related - stick with wav for now.

what is an example of a filename you are saving?
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:43 pm
ok, this is literally my first few days with an mpc, only got one floppy at the moment so i just loaded some new samples onto it so i havent really got as far as saving pgm files etc. so im not sure thats the problem. the samples are all working now, it seems that the mpc decided not to like my files being IN a folder? i just put them on the floppy loose and thats working so im gonna go bang some pads and see if i can figure out how to make a basic beat.
really appreciate your help.... i have a million questions but i dont like asking unless im proper stuck stuck.
tapedeck - none of the files are over 8 characters - i know about that one....shortest is called fuk and longest is called haunted1.
they seem to be working as 16 bit pcm wav 44.1..... LOOSE as opposed to being in a folder.
thanks again
By Lampdog Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:09 pm
2kxl is fine with folders.

Maybe delete that folder and create a fresh folder and try that later on.

You will WANT to use folders for each project later on though. That's BIG ADVICE.

APS = all pgm's and samples/sounds.
ALL = all sequences.
PGM = individual program.
MID = midi file of sequence. SEQ is akai only, MID can be used with other sequencers.
These need to reside in the same folder as all the samples used in a song/project.

We're here to answer your questions, stuck, come on back and let us know.
Download a manual from this site also, push the buttons you read about and it will make sense as you go along.
By 48RAX093 Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:31 pm
Yeah, i will try it with folders again for sure, and i will get the manual, a physical copy would be good if i can find one in the uk, shipping on ebay from america is expensive.
At the moment im wanting/trying to play a drum pattern without having to conform to a certain length of time or bars.... i swear the other day i just played it and it set the bpm after and didnt loop ontop of itself while i was playing... its irrtating.
I'm a drummer and i plan on live recording from my kit/percussion/ instruments etc and mixing little samples and synth in with it.
I appreciate the help, ive been using fruity loops for the last ten years out of necessity.. finally managed to get an mpc