Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ivansky Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:30 pm
I know a lot of people on forums like to reply to specific requests for help by going on tangents
like "why don't you do it this way instead?" or "why would you want to do that?" so if you're one
of those people - now's the time! Please come at me!

I am looking for general advice on how YOU would manage your workflow with my hardware setup,
given my objectives.

So all advice short of replacing gear is welcome! :)

What I want to do:

1. Use MPC2kXL both as a beat machine and a master sequencer
2. Use my keyboard to control instruments in Reason, but record my performances on the MPC if possible
3. Use Reason as a sound module for my keyboard, or to play small arrangements that are synced with the output of the MPC.

My setup:

Echo AudioFire 4 (4 in, 4 out analog, SPDIF, MIDI)
Reason 10
MPC2KXL + 8OUT + compact flash
Mixer
Lexicon fx processor
USB MIDI keyboard

Keyboard is connected to PC via USB, so I cannot (for some reason) also use its MIDI out. This means I can't connect it straight to MPC and then THRU to PC. I will need to get Reason to echo/thru the MIDI input to the MIDI out to have the MPC record it.

I know it's a lot to ask to dance around the Reason sequencer, but I can't stand it and I enjoy the MPC workflow - and I am not a live instrumentalist anyway. I am only using the keyboard to experiment with little melodies to use as loops.

But as I said, I'm open to suggestions. How would you make best use of this setup if you at least wanted to do beat making without the computer, and have Reason sing along when needed?

I have been Googling tutorials on various parts of this setup for weeks now and MPC video tutorials are mostly agonizingly slow and ineffective.

I have posted more specific questions elsewhere, but here I just want to touch base with this forum and get ideas.

Thanks a lot!
By Wal Martian Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45 pm
MIDI Keyboard MIDI out to MPC2000xl MIDI in
MPC2000xl MIDI out to Echo Audiofire 4 MIDI in

ivansky wrote: I can't connect it straight to MPC and then THRU to PC.

Sure you can.

ivansky wrote:beat making without the computer, and have Reason sing along when needed?

In Main Screen, change the track to MIDI. Hit record+play all. Play some keys, this will trigger Reason 10 from the Echo input while recording the performance to the MPC. When done hit play, this will trigger your reason sounds. Make a new track and set a new channel. Continue on you get up to 16 channels per 1 MIDI out.