Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By sing-modulator Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm
Hey all, I'm looking for an external drive or card reader for my mpc 2000 classic. What are my options? I'm looking for something more reliable than floppy or zip drives. SD or CF would be cool, and ideally, it would be something where it isn't split into tiny partitions. So whats the word??
By sing-modulator Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:29 pm
tapedeck wrote:scsi2sd - uses sd, basically works just like a scsi hard drive
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD

that no folder limitation of the classic is gonna be tough to deal with on a huge drive tho, so keep that in mind

Gotcha. What about the MPC2000 makes it difficult to mount an internal sd reader like this, as opposed to the mpc2000xl?

Would I be better off with scsi2sd or just a normal scsi hard drive? I don't like that there's no enclosure or anything for the scsi2sd..

Editted to add: on the compatability page: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_V6_Compatibility it doesn't list the 2000.
By dryad-66 Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 pm
https://samplerzone.com/collections/storage/products/external-scsi2sd-v5-1-drive

If it does not come up look up chickebn systems.

Im in the UK tho so shipping and customs......

SCSI2SD External Drives - Powerful SD Memory Card Storage

SCSI2SD External Drive

Order v5.1 at SamplerZone.com
Order v6.0 at SamplerZone.com
Order v5.0 at SamplerZone.com

This is the new era of SCSI-capable solid-state Memory Card solutions for your hardware sampler. These are SCSI2SD within a handy ultra-micro case with an external DB25 jack. They use an SD card, and most samplers do not require power.

The wonderful aspect of the SCSI2SD Drives is the ability to access four (seven for v6.0) SCSI ID's; so it's really many drives in one! This enables better use of the SD card - more efficient, faster access.

Compatibility
Our quality SCSI2SD v5.1 External Drive works with EVERY SINGLE SAMPLER we know of (which is all of them). All Ensoniq, Akai, Akai MPC, Roland, Emu, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Peavey, Synclavier, Fairlight, Waveframe samplers. We don't provide a list because we haven't found a sampler it DOESN'T work on.

Comes with a standard 1-year warranty, your choice of how the drive is setup, how the included SD card is formatted, and your choice of SCSI connecting cable.

Note: Currently a limited number of the older v5.0b boards are available. These use microSD cards and have a 25% smaller footprint, otherwise they are functionally identical to the v5.1 boards.

There are two different models of SCSI2SD Drives. A comparison chart of their differences is below; otherwise all their capability and features are the same.
Card Type Max ID's Power Connector Form Factor Other
v5.1 SD 4 Floppy-type Standard
v6.0 SD 7 Floppy-type Standard Can use as USB card reader
By LADiego Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:27 am
You could also do a search on eBay, “AKAI scsi card reader” and you will find both cf and sd card readers packages. I use cf cards and have done so for several years without problem. I use the mpc2000 classic to create 4 1gb partitions on a 4gb cf card, 8 1gb partitions on an 8gb cf card, and 16 1gb partitions on a 16gb cf card. Hope this helps.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:31 am
sing-modulator wrote:How does this drive get partitioned?

The drive (SD card) gets partitioned with the app/program scsi2sd-util for Mac or PC... http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/
By JUKE 179r Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:11 am
Whoa! $229!!!!!
By willievee Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 pm
I just replaced the floppy drive in my MPC2000 with a SCSI2SD (and in my S5000 as well) and it was very easy to do. As long as you set up the SCSI2SD card and the SD card itself using the software, it works great! The only kink I ran in to was that I had to initially connect the SCSI2SD card to the external SCSI port, copy the OS from the floppy to the SD card, then remove the floppy and replace it with the SCSI2SD. And I did have to use the power cable from the floppy to power the SCSI2SD card as well.
By dryad-66 Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 am
willievee wrote:I just replaced the floppy drive in my MPC2000 with a SCSI2SD (and in my S5000 as well) and it was very easy to do. As long as you set up the SCSI2SD card and the SD card itself using the software, it works great! The only kink I ran in to was that I had to initially connect the SCSI2SD card to the external SCSI port, copy the OS from the floppy to the SD card, then remove the floppy and replace it with the SCSI2SD. And I did have to use the power cable from the floppy to power the SCSI2SD card as well.

Which scsi2scsi did you buy?
By willievee Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:04 pm
I bought the v5.1 with the 25 pin SCSI connector added on. But the 25 pin connector is on the right side of the card (instead of the 50 pin on the rear), which makes it difficult to align the card in the old floppy disk bay. So I'm going to get a 50 pin to 25 pin converter and use the rear-facing 50 pin connector instead. But functionally, it's great as-is.