Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By jesseowenastin Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 pm
I have a SCSI2SD drive formatting 8GB SD cards into (4) 2GB partitions using the scsi2sd utility. When I plug the SD card into my computer, only one of the partitions shows up, and I can only copy a certain number of files to it because of the FAT limitations. Is there a way to view all four partitions so that I can copy sounds to all 4 partitions? I've looked into Translator, but can't even figure out how to copy sounds using that app, and even then - only two of the partitions are visible.

Using an MPC2000 classic and MacOSX.
By hok-2 Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:17 pm
I'm not sure a Mpc 2000 can deal with a 8gb card, I may be wrong.
After all, they can only reconise scsi hard drives that are smaller than 1gb. I think its somthing like 900mb's.

I have a scsi2sd card and I just use 1gb cards.
Also, I used the scsi utility program to set it to 900mb's
Cant realy expect a 32mb machine to know what a gigabyte is, fam.
Go easy on it : )

Personally I'd forget about making partitions, thats just making things overly complicated.
900mb's is allready more than ten times its memory capacicity so whats the point when you can just transfer it to a folder on your computer?
How many gazzillion beats you want to save? haha ner, peace G lowering the size of the vertual drive might help.
Mine works fine and is a godsend so, let me know if that doesnt work.
By jesseowenastin Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:18 pm
hok-2 wrote:I'm not sure a Mpc 2000 can deal with a 8gb card, I may be wrong.
After all, they can only reconise scsi hard drives that are smaller than 1gb. I think its somthing like 900mb's.

I have a scsi2sd card and I just use 1gb cards.
Also, I used the scsi utility program to set it to 900mb's
Cant realy expect a 32mb machine to know what a gigabyte is, fam.
Go easy on it : )

Personally I'd forget about making partitions, thats just making things overly complicated.
900mb's is allready more than ten times its memory capacicity so whats the point when you can just transfer it to a folder on your computer?
How many gazzillion beats you want to save? haha ner, peace G lowering the size of the vertual drive might help.
Mine works fine and is a godsend so, let me know if that doesnt work.

You are right, 900 MB is plenty of space. But - FAT formatted drives can only store a maximum of 512 files per drive, and sometimes less than that if the file names are long - I have over 4k samples i'm trying to copy over from my floppies.

So, being able to partition the drive into 4 separate partitions would allow me to copy close to 2k samples rather than just 512.

And 8GB cards are working just fine in the MPC2000 classic.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:01 am
jesseowenastin wrote:And 8GB cards are working just fine in the MPC2000 classic.

In saying that... a 256GB card will work in the MPC2000 also but you'll still only access one 1GB partition.
By Lampdog Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Lots of newer peeps are trying to get the biggest size cards with OLD technology and it's not an easy mix when you don't know the limitations of OLD tech. Gotta know those OLD limitations and work within them. That's the advice given above. It works.
By jesseowenastin Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:36 pm
Not trying to overlook any advice that was given, but i'm having absolutely zero problems getting the mpc to see (4) 2GB partitions on an 8GB SD card -

My initial question is in regards to how I can access those 4 partitions on my mac/pc so that i can drop samples to it - not the mpc. If i plug the SD card into my computer, it only allows me to access the first partition. I was asking if there was a way to get my computer to see all 4 of them. That's all.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am
Did you look at “device manager, disk manager” on pc?
By hok-2 Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:50 pm
Mpc 2000's don't reconise partitions
Or maybe they do for you ?, that's why Xl's are an upgrade, that and the darth vader jog wheel :lol:
Aint no partitions on the O.G mpc2000's.

Seriously you are expecting too much. Just use it like a scsi hard drive, but without the click of death and use your computer to do the modern stuff.
Circa 1997 you know?
Ner I feel you, if its on floppys it should be transferable. Theoreticaly.
Partitions! You crazy fool! You don't need that sheet.
If you'v 4gbs of beats you want to transfer I'd advice you to take a few months of work and do it 26mbs at a time. Trim your samples you wastrel!

I'm just joking and mean no diss, brother. I only use mine in the mb's and I don't expect any thing else from it. Compared to all the other (now dead) scsi drives I'v had, its great. Hopefully I'll get a few years out of it.
Peace, G.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 pm
I think 2k can split it’s own media to partitions.

Don’t know if a computer can see those partitions.
By hok-2 Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:40 pm
Lampdog wrote:I think 2k can split it’s own media to partitions.

Don’t know if a computer can see those partitions.

Yeah, they can partition a drive and as you say a pc probably won't see them.
No dissrespect meant to the original poster, I just find it easier to work with smaller sized drives.

And now that I have a scsi to sd card reader I only work on one song at a time on a Sd card then save it on a folder on my laptop.
I don't see the point in filling up a 4gb card with beats.. But thats just me, diffrent people have there own methods.
By Lampdog Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm
hok-2 wrote:I just find it easier to work with smaller sized drives.

I don't see the point in filling up a 4gb card with beats..

For decades this has always been the best thing for me too.
By hok-2 Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am
I think it took me 4 years to get near to filling a 900mb hard drive
And by that time it crapped out and died.

Scsi is some tempremental stuff, and some times it will just wipe it all to show you how flimsy your plans were.
:WTF:
I'd transfer everything to a more stable place than a scsi drive as soon possible, I don't trust my Mpc's sample storage for one moment.
make two coppys, plenty of new technological ways to do it, Gotec floppy emulators, scsi2sd cards. Eventualy that drive will fail by the law of averages.
By Lampdog Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm
hok-2 wrote:I think it took me 4 years to get near to filling a 900mb hard drive
And by that time it crapped out and died.

Scsi is some tempremental stuff, and some times it will just wipe it all to show you how flimsy your plans were.
:WTF:
I'd transfer everything to a more stable place than a scsi drive as soon possible, I don't trust my Mpc's sample storage for one moment.
make two coppys, plenty of new technological ways to do it, Gotec floppy emulators, scsi2sd cards. Eventualy that drive will fail by the law of averages.

MTBF is real.