Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By GC11 Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 pm
Hey everyone, so I recently got an mpc2000xl about a month ago. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago.

My set up is simple: I sample from my phone with an 1/8 in cable to, 1/8 in - 1/4 in converter, to stereo 1/4 in.
I record from the L or R outputs to a focusrite, then into audacity. Now when chopping and setting up, I use the headphones output with a 1/4 in converter to 1/8 in headphones.

The problem that started happening is that, occasionally when I'm hitting pads, my outputs will crackle during the playing of an assigned sample, audio will drop out completely, and make these nasty pops. Sometimes all the pads will just be silent or crackle/pop. Then after a couple of taps later, the sound will come back and play fine. Also, the crackles aren't from samples. When you listen, you'll see what I mean

I have audio samples that I'm going to attach. The titles of each file should explain the circumstance that's happening during that recording. Keep in mind that I was just setting up and only using my headphones, when it began. I recorded it straight to my Phone's voice memos from the headphones, since I did not want it to get back to normal before I had some solid evidence. During the audio samples, I tried changing the outputs from headphones, to L, to R, and output 1. The mono's being more subtle because of just one side of the headphone picking it up.

I have looked at some other forums, and have seen that it could be a Ram problem, or old Pad sensors.

So far I checked if it was the Ram buy doing a memory check and everything ran smoothly. I'll link pictures (in dropbox) as well! Also, checked if it was a volume/recording knob by slightly moving the knob L-R while playing a sample, but no crackles, pops, or audio dropouts occurred.

In a couple of days I'll be ordering a new pad sensor to see how that affects the quality.

:!:
If you're going to listen to the audio clips, please start at a low volume a slowly raise for each clip. I wouldn't want these nasty noises affecting your equipment or ears!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gg96liaytxfn ... R-NZa?dl=0
By GC11 Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:16 am
tapedeck wrote:checking the ram doesnt really tell you if its a problem with the ram.
take the ram out, clean it with a pencil eraser, put it back in, and see if it changes.

Update*

Thanks for your response tapedeck. Did exactly what you said, and it was working fine. However, after working on it for a bit, the noises came back. This time it was the main volume knob when turning it from left to right, when I hit pad 13, and the surrounding pads. At one point I was on bank B and when trying to press A, the noise started to act up. It seems to not be the button for bank A, but around this area. Since when pressing under bank A, but above Pad 13-14, the sound would act up as well.

Gonna open it up for any loose connections.

Once again, thanks for the input.
By tapedeck Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 pm
GC11 wrote:Thanks for your response tapedeck. Did exactly what you said, and it was working fine. However, after working on it for a bit, the noises came back. This time it was the main volume knob when turning it from left to right, when I hit pad 13, and the surrounding pads. At one point I was on bank B and when trying to press A, the noise started to act up. It seems to not be the button for bank A, but around this area. Since when pressing under bank A, but above Pad 13-14, the sound would act up as well.

quality deduction method and good thought. i fixed a mixer for a friend last night that was just a loose connection, so it does happen.
By GC11 Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:48 am
tapedeck wrote:
GC11 wrote:Thanks for your response tapedeck. Did exactly what you said, and it was working fine. However, after working on it for a bit, the noises came back. This time it was the main volume knob when turning it from left to right, when I hit pad 13, and the surrounding pads. At one point I was on bank B and when trying to press A, the noise started to act up. It seems to not be the button for bank A, but around this area. Since when pressing under bank A, but above Pad 13-14, the sound would act up as well.

quality deduction method and good thought. i fixed a mixer for a friend last night that was just a loose connection, so it does happen.

Hey there, so I replaced my old pad sensor, since that one of them wasn't working anyway. Was able to fix that. Couple min later the sound problems occurred again. Before I connected the pad sensor made sure all the wires were doing well. Nice and tuck. Seemed like all way fine, but now the link I provided has a picture and a video of me "controlling" the problem. Prob not the best idea to do what I did, but now I'm positive it isn't the pad sensors. Must be something up with one of the boards.

Hopefully you have some insight
By GC11 Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 am
Also, if anyone has any contact on someone who has some strong mpc repair knowledge that would be dope. Last resort is to hire someone to fix it, but I still new to the circuitry and dont want to run any risk. Lastly, if anyone has any experience with MPCstuff repairs, it would be nice to hear how the business, repair, and end result went.

Thanks
By tapedeck Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:59 pm
mpcstuff is quality - i will vouch for them all day long.
as to the pad sensors - i dont know who told you it was the pad sensors but that is definitely not what i would have tried to replace. oh well you've got two sheets now no big deal.
if you want to continue to throw money at the problem, buy new ram. then you can be more certain it isnt your ram. it could also be a bad pot or another loose audio connection failing somewhere.
By GC11 Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 am
tapedeck wrote:mpcstuff is quality - i will vouch for them all day long.
as to the pad sensors - i dont know who told you it was the pad sensors but that is definitely not what i would have tried to replace. oh well you've got two sheets now no big deal.
if you want to continue to throw money at the problem, buy new ram. then you can be more certain it isnt your ram. it could also be a bad pot or another loose audio connection failing somewhere.

So I been opening this thing up, reconnecting boards and wires. And although I'm not sure what specifically went wrong, so far no more nasty noises. Everything is clean with light to medium pressure.

As for the pad sensor, it was worth it since my Pad 4 didn't work and so, I didn't mind giving that a try. That problem got fixed for sure. Might give MPCstuff an e-mail to see they think.

Thanks for the constant input. Peace.