Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Dan Jose Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:19 pm
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me improve my recording technique. I have a 2k classic with the 8 out board and a 16 channel Mackie mixer with 8 outs going into a Scarlett 18i20 so I can record 8 channels at once perfectly with no issue.

My question is how do you record a track with say 16 sounds in it (including drums) and get the initial eq even remotely close to the rough mixing done in the mpc? When I re-set the Mackie for recording so all the pots are set to their neutral location and all volumes are equal, the tracked out stems just never sound as good together as when I just record the stereo outs with the pre-mastering in the mpc. With the 8 outs it seems to be some kind of "pre-fader setting so it doesn't remember the 2k's mixer's volume settings. So if I'm tracking out loads of small little glitchy samples I have to refigure out the volume eq for them all which is hard as I can't hear the other samples playing to understand how the sound in relation.

I find mixing in the mpc a lot more intuitive as you can hear the adjustment to the individual pad while you are playing the whole track so it's easier to tune and figure out what works.

At the moment I do just my drums first and get them sounding good together in the Mackie and track them in. Then I'll play the drums on loop from the computer while I eq the next round of samples and try to get them sounding good with the drums, but when I start stemming in my samples it just leaves a lot to be desired. I find it really difficult with glitched out little stabs. I want to learn to record to help make my tracks sound nicer, also, I have a reverb and a delay unit I want to start using as well.

Any help on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel
By Lampdog Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 am
Mixer settings are saved in ALL file.

MPC Analog/Digital - Digital/Analog converters are used when using 8 outs or main outs. MPC Output will sound different the second you connect ANY other analog device in the audio path. Why, because of diff electronics inside every gear.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 am
I would bypass the Mackie and go from the MPC 2000 directly to the Scarlett 18i20 8 inputs. Do all your EQ'ing in your DAW.

1. You can either track out 8 sounds at once, in two passes.

2. Get another MPC 2000 with 8 outs. MIDI both MPC's together, and track 16 out at once.
Look into something like the ADA8200 8-Channel ADAT Audio Interface. Gives you 8 analog in and 8 out via ADAT. This way you can use the Scarlett's ADAT inputs, giving you 16 direct in to your DAW.
By Dan Jose Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:11 pm
Thanks for your time guys, I don't mind doing the EQ's in my Mackie for now as I enjoy using the ph. I guess what I'm asking there a way to track out using the mpc's internal mixer to set the sample volume levels?

Is that the difference between the Program and Master setting in the mixer source select?
By tapedeck Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Dan Jose wrote:Thanks for your time guys, I don't mind doing the EQ's in my Mackie for now as I enjoy using the ph. I guess what I'm asking there a way to track out using the mpc's internal mixer to set the sample volume levels?

Is that the difference between the Program and Master setting in the mixer source select?

no i believe that difference means, use the mixer settings for the program, or keep the mixer global, and use it for all programs...dont load new settings when a new program gets loaded.

yea when you track out of a mixer via the insert/send like i bet you are, you bypass all the eq etc.

what i do is i record the individual tracks like that into the computer, but then i also record the master mix.

are you using all 8 channels? can you sacrifice two at one point to go ahead and get a 'glued' mix so you always have that to reference and/or mix to?
By Dan Jose Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:22 pm
Hey Man,

Yeah once I have all my sequences worked out I get everything lined up everything in song mode and record a master track out the stereo outs into ableton via the Jackie so the mpc has channels 1 and 2 and then my synths and drum machines take up the other channels so I record all the external stuff as well.

I have 8 labeled 1/4 jacks pluggged into my external 8 outs for tracking out mpc stems.

After I record the mpc master track and my outboard gear, I unplug them all, reset my mackie and then plug in the cables for tracking the mpc stems. It would just be awesome to get the basic mixing done in the mpc through the 8 outs to get a more accurate starting point for fine tuning if you feel me.

Thanks again,

D
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 pm
With the ADA8200 8-Channel ADAT Audio Interface going into ADAT of your interface, you wouldn't have to re-patch or zero out your mixer. It seems like you're not using the full capabilities of your audio interface.

FRONT:

REAR:

other option.

Replace your MACKIE MIXER, with that Tascam Model 24. Gives you 20 inputs and 20 out via USB into your computer. You could also track everything into the Tascam, record all the stems to the SD card at once, then transfer your stems to your computer.

Dan Jose wrote:Hey Man,

Yeah once I have all my sequences worked out I get everything lined up everything in song mode and record a master track out the stereo outs into ableton via the Jackie so the mpc has channels 1 and 2 and then my synths and drum machines take up the other channels so I record all the external stuff as well.

I have 8 labeled 1/4 jacks pluggged into my external 8 outs for tracking out mpc stems.

After I record the mpc master track and my outboard gear, I unplug them all, reset my mackie and then plug in the cables for tracking the mpc stems. It would just be awesome to get the basic mixing done in the mpc through the 8 outs to get a more accurate starting point for fine tuning if you feel me.

Thanks again,

D
By tapedeck Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 pm
i'm losing a little track of what exactly you are trying to achieve, so i would advise against buying anything new.

if you are just saying, how do i make my mix from stems sound like the mix straight out the mpc, i dont think a piece of gear is going to fix that for you. just got to work at it. i personally would also say, forget about 'mixing' in the mpc and just put in the time to do it properly in the daw later. that beats doing it once in the mpc then trying to re-create that in the daw.

still, if you like the way it is coming out of the mpc, just use the stereo track. use the stems to tweak only if you need them - there is no rule that says you have to use the stems...some producers, big time guys even, don't mix with stems, they just take the stereo out of their board. its not a bad way to work.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 pm
I agree....he was talking about Multi Tracking Techniques and how to improve them as well. That's why I suggest the other gear. (The Tascam was just an option.) He's not using the full capacity of his system. He has 16 inputs but only using 8. :lol: He shouldn't have to keep patching and zeroing out the board.

Personally, I would bypass the MACKIE and get the ADA8200 8-Channel ADAT.

1. Plug 8 out of the MPC to the 8 in of the ADA8200.
2. ADA8200 goes into the ADAT of the interface.
3, Plug all the other gear, into Scarlett Interface 8 analog inputs.
4, Then in the DAW, label and setup default project for the 16 inputs.

No more patching, he'll have consistent levels and recordings because everything is stays the same. He's
working much harder than he has too. Sometimes people think, to get good recordings you need to do a lot, but it's the exact opposite. The system should be simple, direct, and repeatable. :smoker:
By Dan Jose Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:47 pm
Thanks guys. I guess I’m limited by the 8 direct outs of the mackie. If the 2000 had adat I guess I could utilise the full 16 inputs. I’ll just hone my techniques. Having ADHD I find having a mixing desk really nice as it keeps me fidgeting with manual knobs n all that when I track out my stems.

I’m teaching myself how to record now after having learned how to use the MPC and midi the last year, and sometimes I do just use the master track, but my friend gave me a spring reverb and another pal lent me a capistan delay unit so I’m keen to spice up my stems and give my tracks a lil extra sauce.

I guess a lot of the issue is the classic half “analogue” half digital hybrid setup. I’ll get to grips with it. As for unplugging shit it’s really not a big deal as I have all my cables organised and labelled so it only takes a couple of minutes. It’s just when you’re making a track in the mpc get it all nice It’s annoying to have to adjust the levels when you use the 8 outs To get it sounding like it is in the box. I think the recording part is just a whole new arena I need to get familiar with.

I want the the stems for safe-keeping / adding effects to certain parts later on. Like you know, maybe that snare just needs a lil reverb.

I’ll look into the usb mixers I think that is a real promising shout. Are there any ones you guys vouch for?

Best,

D
By Lampdog Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 pm
Dan Jose wrote:If the 2000 had adat I guess I could utilise the full 16 inputs.

No, 8 outs are mirrored on ADAT 8 outs. IDK why I keep hearing this 16 out thing.
People just don’t read the manual. The most you’ll get is 10 out.

One of the reasons why I chose RME UFX was because I was because I wanted enough inputs to handle all the gear I have. Triton 2chnl optical spdif -> ufx adat2 (configurable for optical spdif), mpc 4k 8chnl adat -> ufx adat1, emu turbo phat 6 chanls -> rme ufx 1-6 analog in, Moog Subsequent37 -> ufx analog ins or triton active line in w/ effects outputted via optical , ipad -> ufx 7-8 analog inputs.

And I still have analog ports available on ufx. I purposely bought it bigger than I needed at the time in case my gear grows.