Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:57 pm
yeah I got it cheap man, but it was a big fix up, still work in progress. Had to solder a couple tact switches. When I opened it up there was significant rust underneath around the screen area, was looking like a write off. I basically sanded the chasis down to get rid of most the rust, sadly some corrosion etc had begun on the board. I don't know how common this is... but yeah. Kind of puts me off investing too much on this one because I don't know how long it will last. I've taken measures to make sure it's going to have a longer life, even though tonight almost ended that lol.

Who you buy that MPC from, Aquaman? WTH? Sounds like water damage. The smoke is strange, considering the IDE cable only sends DATA. The power comes for the 4 pin Molex. Man, what are you doing over there.? :hmmm:

tapedeck wrote:this is hilarious :mrgreen:

We gave him Transformers and bought GO BOTS. :lol: I hope he's installed OS 1.20 first.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:17 pm
2000 XL COMPACT CARD READER FLASH DRIVE KIT - MCD - MPCSTUFF: $115 + $7.50 Shipping.

Includes:
Compact Flash Drive in Black or White (fits exactly in the MPC)
Data Ribbon Cable
Power Supply Cable
Fitment Screws
4GB Compact Flash Card (will need to be formatted in the MPC, which will format it down to 1GB)
Installation Directions

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-XL-COMPAC ... 1335!US!-1

By peterpiper Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01 pm
Man, if you love your MPC treat it the right way. Unless Your MPC is into BDSM don't plug in anything that doesn't fit correctly. You should exactly know what you're doin when you work with electronics otherwise your MPC will die quickly.
peace

BTW external MO Drive
By EvoMPC Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 am
Yeah,that's what everyone says. The screen is original and I can see it was never replaced... dunno how it survived this long. Maybe I have a lucky screen? :)
By Dan Jose Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm
Keep it up man! If you have the skills and enjoy it restoring old equipment you're winning. I couldn't solder new switches on. My experience from restoring old cars is just do it right the first time. Get a good ideal vision locked in and shoot for the best option now. Initially it is a larger mission, but longterm you will save yourself loads of time and ballache. You don't want to have to go through all this shit 3 times and risk breaking more parts and spend more money and time.

If some previous owner has done some DIY ghetto tech, just get rid of all the parts and their botch work, and replace them with the correct factory (or equivalent units) You do not want some idiot's mistakes from a past life coming to haunt you.

To be frank over here in the U.K. prices on all mpcs are pretty stupid high so if you can restore it and do a good job you'll probably get a lil P for it.
By EvoMPC Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm
Dunno what the guys above are on about, yes, it's likely water damage, and the electrical wiring was a DIY from the dude I bought it from... aquaman, as you said. I'm putting this thing back in order, not the other way around. At least that's my intention.

My IDE 40 pin and CF card / card reader should arrive before the weekend... I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone is interested I'll share some pics on the restoration.

BTW dunno if this is the right place but here you can listen to some beats I made, the later ones being on my t(r)usty 2000XL :D

https://soundcloud.com/user-894415814

Peace
Last edited by EvoMPC on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:53 pm
Reverbed Car horn sounds outta place.
By EvoMPC Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:20 pm
Oh haha yeah that was an old one I cant change. Didn't mean to share that track but my profile. Was actually something I made on a volca sample lol, my first taste of hardware... :p Thanks for your feedback though
By Lampdog Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 pm
Not a problem. I’ll check the profile.

I can roller skate my ass off to ”Dayz away”.

That old school roller rink shit before inlines type bullshyt.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:37 pm
EvoMPC wrote:Dunno what the guys above are on about, yes, it's likely water damage, and the electrical wiring was a DIY from the dude I bought it from... aquaman, as you said. I'm putting this thing back in order, not the other way around. At least that's my intention.

My IDE 40 pin and CF card / card reader should arrive before the weekend... I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone is interested I'll share some pics on the restoration.

For the corrosion on the board, unplug the power and use a pencil eraser on the corrosion. Also we're MPC heads here and most have gone through, what you are doing right now. It's always best to do it right, the first time.

Does this MPC 2000Xl, have the effects card, 32 mb of Ram, OS 1.20 and 8 audio out card installed? Make sure it has the 1.20 OS or it won't see the CF CARD.
By peterpiper Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:45 pm
EvoMPC wrote:Dunno what the guys above are on about, yes, it's likely water damage, and the electrical wiring was a DIY from the dude I bought it from... aquaman, as you said. I'm putting this thing back in order, not the other way around. At least that's my intention.

BTW dunno if this is the right place but here you can listen to some beats I made, the later ones being on my t(r)usty 2000XL :D

https://soundcloud.com/user-894415814

Peace

Ok. Guess I misunderstood your post. Thought YOU did the 'ghetto DIY'. I'm sorry.
peace
By EvoMPC Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:08 pm
@ CharlesRandolph funny you say that man, I found a kind of shoe brush with rubber bristles and tried that a bit, maybe an eraser would be more effective. I also found a plastic protective spray for PCB's. Once I've got rid of the bad areas I'll spray a coating over it. You guys might benefit from doing it as a preventative measure:

https://www.allekabels.nl/spray/731/767 ... gJYFPD_BwE

Pieterpiper yeah no worries man, I was amazed at the wiring, maybe this guy was on another level actually because I never heard of anyone hooking a 34 pin ide cable to a 40 pin. The dumb part was I tried to replicate his work with my new part, which, perhaps because it isn't 34 pin like the floppy, didn't work out very well.
By EvoMPC Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:30 pm
Guys nothing I have tried has worked in my 2000xl to get a cf card going. I have read all over this forum for days on end and still dont know what I'm doing wrong! I first tried a cheaper brand ide/cf reader and when that didn't work I bought the startech on from here: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/startech-com-3 ... oductImage

I though this FOR sure got to work! I got two ide cables, the first one was a 40 pin 80 wire ide so I realized I need the 40/40 if you know what I mean. I bought the right ide cable. I have a transcend 133x 8gb cf card, made a partition of 1gb in fat16 format. NOTHING. Am I to conclude the ide connection point on the board is done? Is that a common thing? My last hope might be a smaller cf card like transcend 133x 1gb -but in theory its the same thing with the 8gb with a 1gb partition? I read other people had success with that?

If any of you guys can shed any light or ideas I would appreciate it a lot! I got no idea what to do at this point! :WTF:
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:54 am
Did you have OS1.2 installed before you installed the StarTech?
Are you getting power to the StarTech? Does the power connector fit fine connected to the StarTech?
Some older 40-pin computer ribbon cables don't have the raised guide "Key" in the middle of the connector. Is the 40-pin ribbon cable inserted correctly into the StarTech?