Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Happy12 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:32 pm
hey,
today i got a mpc 2000 from ebay.
now my problem ist that there was no floppy with it.
when i start the mpc it says three thing
1. MPC2000 boot rom v1.00
2. scsi 7
3. mpc 2000 disk is missing

my plan was it to buy the maschine, check if everything is right and put a usb drive in it.
so now i have to check fast if everything works. i did a little research on google now my question is

Can i buy some floppys and a usb floppy drive download the os file and put it on the floppy disk and everything works? i´m on mac by the way i dont know if this matters.

i have to get this thing running really fast so that i dont lose my paypal safety.

Thanks for your help :)
By Scrawny Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:11 am
You have two options:

1. Buy an OS disk from eBay and wait for delivery.
2. Go outside and buy an external floppy drive, and a couple of floppies, and just download the OS files from the internet.
By Happy12 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 pm
Scrawny wrote:You have two options:

1. Buy an OS disk from eBay and wait for delivery.
2. Go outside and buy an external floppy drive, and a couple of floppies, and just download the OS files from the internet.

hey thank you for the quick answere.
i just buy it and it works?
i read in some articles that i have to put the floppys in a fat format or create fat images?
is this possible with a mac and how does it work?
By Lampdog Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm
Happy12 wrote:
Can i buy some floppys and a usb floppy drive download the os file and put it on the floppy disk and everything works?

Get a usb floppy drive connect it to mac.
Check this page:
https://www.anyrecover.com/hard-drive-r ... drive-mac/

After the floppy is formatted to FAT download MPC 2000 OS 1.72 from mpc-forums here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8ir7nclj68xa ... 2.zip?dl=1
Unzip on mac, copy unzipped contents to the floppy drive. Because your using mac there may be some mac created files, delete all files on floppy that are NOT part of the mpc zip file contents. No folder on the floppy ONLY the zip contents.

MPC should be off, insert floppy, turn mpc on. This should start mpc 2k. If that works that floppy disk is now your mpc startup disk. What makes a startup disk, those unzipped files with no folder is what makes a startup disk.
By JUKE 179r Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 pm
By hok-2 Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 pm
The O.S is downloadable from the above links, as stated.
I find sometimes I have to change the order of the 'system' file and the 'Exe' file on the disk untill it works.

They can be a bit tempremental, but once you've got the operating system loaded its all gravy.

Don't forget to save, your 'Program' and 'all sequences' regularly.
As they can crash ocassionaly and you lose it all. Puff, its gone forever.
And bare in mind you are restricted to 8 charactors when naming samples. Then press'Enter'.

A usb floppy drive will work, legacy mpcs only read 16bit samples so, either convert the samples to 16bit or just record them into the input (which sounds better anyway). Peace.!
By Lampdog Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:06 pm
hok-2 wrote:…...

Just heard you deep house from august. I don't listen to house but I recognize skill when I hear it.