Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Sirwillyus Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:03 pm
Hello there, has anyone had the issue of the available space on a CF card not compute with the amount used. I calculate maybe 200 mb files are taking memory up on my card. When I check info on the card it says I'm using 800+ mb. Anyone have a solution to get rid of this "ghost space" that is using most of the card?

To make things more complicated I cant move the files to my computer and reformat the card. I think the names of the .SND files are not uniquely named so my mac can't accept the transfer.
Thanks in advance!
By Lampdog Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:40 pm
Macs are known to index spotlight files on media like instantly. Many people have had that problem. I have had the problem also but I know what it is and take the media to pc and delete the index/database files.

Is there a pc you can use?

IF you use a pc AND the card was formatted on 2k/2kxl AND some names are longer than 8 characters you run the risk of filenames longer than 8 being renamed to XXXXXXX~.wav AND any file that gets renamed will not be recognized by any associated APS, PGM, ALL's. There is a lot to lose out on here, filenames, peace of mind, sanity. Be careful.
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:37 am
Yeah... what Lamp said. :smoker:
By Lampdog Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:02 pm
I have ALWAYS formatted media FAT on pc, that way I can freely move media to/from pc/mpc.
ALWAYS used 8 character filenames. Why? 2kxl/2k use fat but 8 bits are standard and 8 bits are proprietary to Akai. 8 characters will be recognized on pc and 8 will not hence the truncating of filenames that happens when accessing media formatted on mpc in pc. Long story short, stay 8, format media on pc.

Before I figured all this out I had floppies and then went zip. In the beginning I formatted via mpc, there was no clear way to KEEP my filenames from being renamed when media was put to pc. I went through the pain, files were renamed, BUT I was able to get everything on pc and it took me a few weeks to get songs back to normal and back onto compact flash formatted on pc. Got rid of floppy and zip. You don't lose files, it's the truncating of names that **** you over.

Growing pains.