Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By loudmusic Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:45 am
MANiK wrote:I thought my Note Variation slider was totally **** until I really looked at it. The thing didn't work when I first bought my MPC (used) and then the MPC slid off my rack in an unfortunate accident and it broke even more. It got to where the whole slider knob was all wobbly to the sides and (of course) still didn't work. I decided that since it wouldn't be a lot of soldering and was on a fairly accessible board inside the machine, I'd just replace it myself. In the process, after I opened the machine, I noticed that it wasn't cracked off the board like I thought it was from all the wobbling; just the metal cover that holds the whole mechanism was bent out of shape from the fall. I decided to try to fix it without desoldering everything, and found out it's about the easiest fix I've ever seen on an MPC (short of installing a zip drive, but there's really nothing to that)....

I pried the "legs" apart that held the metal plate onto the base of the slider and took it off. Lo and behold, the whole assembly was dirty as all hell....I first took alcohol swabs to the traces inside the slider and cleaned them up really well (it took 4 swabs, 3 of them nearly black with gunk, and only the third one really getting everything clean) and then looked at the actual "slider" piece itself. It's the most simple design in the world! Just a few little spring-contacts that make contact with the contacts inside the slider body (you'll understand if you look). I noticed these were bent all up, so I just took a tiny jeweler's screwdriver and bent everything back into place neatly, and removed all the carbon-looking crap that was packed between the contacts. Put it back together, securely re-attached the metal top of the slider body, and everything works PERFECTLY now. Not $1 in parts, and it's fixed....before you send your MPC off for repair for this, give it a look....no point blowing gear money on something you can do yourself in 15 minutes (if that's all that's wrong with yours). Just lookin' out for all the brokeass producers like myself out there....

(No doubt mpc3000 is chuckling going....."jackass".......heheheheh)

Peace,

MANiK

How did you pry the legs off? What did you use?
By Lampdog Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 am
I’ve done this same thing with a jewlers screwdrivers set.
Opened my emu turbo phatt when I first got it cause the data dial was not hitting every value when dialed.

Carefully took apart the dial, cleaned with alcohol, qtips, small paunting brushes. Put it all back together slowly and carefully so as not to have to solder.

Works perfectlt fine.

I’ve taken apart 2kxl nv sliders before and yes, it’ the exact same job, diff machines.
By loudmusic Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’ve done this same thing with a jewlers screwdrivers set.
Opened my emu turbo phatt when I first got it cause the data dial was not hitting every value when dialed.

Carefully took apart the dial, cleaned with alcohol, qtips, small paunting brushes. Put it all back together slowly and carefully so as not to have to solder.

Works perfectlt fine.

I’ve taken apart 2kxl nv sliders before and yes, it’ the exact same job, diff machines.

Thanks. Luckily in my case the slider itself works but the metal lever part is broken off. I was planning on simply replacing that part with a spare I got from mouser. I'll solder if I have to though.