Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By guitardeek Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:42 pm
Hi all...
I'm new to this forum, but recently acquired a MPC 2000XL. It had several issues, some of which required soldering, and I solved everything else, but still can't get the 4 pads on the right (4, 8, 12, 16) working. They didn't work with the old sensors, and they don't work with the new ones either. I've tried all of these things:
- trimming the ribbon down twice and very precise.
- seating and reseating the ribbon several times.
- blasting the ribbon connector with air and even contact cleaner (as a last resort)
- checking all of the solder joints for the ribbon connector.
- placing a small nerf bullet under the ribbon to create a different angle hoping that the connectors would connect better
- scrolled through every bank with no luck (not sure this would matter, but tried it anyway)
- looked at the PadCheck options and got the same result (9 pads worked, but not the 4 on the right)

Do you have any other recommendations?
By JUKE 179r Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 am
take a pencil eraser and lightly clean the ribbon cable contacts on the the pad sheet.
If that doesn't work get a new pad sheet from MPC Exchange. :-D
By JVC Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 pm
guitardeek wrote:Hi all...
I'm new to this forum, but recently acquired a MPC 2000XL. It had several issues, some of which required soldering, and I solved everything else, but still can't get the 4 pads on the right (4, 8, 12, 16) working. They didn't work with the old sensors, and they don't work with the new ones either. I've tried all of these things:
- trimming the ribbon down twice and very precise.
- seating and reseating the ribbon several times.
- blasting the ribbon connector with air and even contact cleaner (as a last resort)
- checking all of the solder joints for the ribbon connector.
- placing a small nerf bullet under the ribbon to create a different angle hoping that the connectors would connect better
- scrolled through every bank with no luck (not sure this would matter, but tried it anyway)
- looked at the PadCheck options and got the same result (9 pads worked, but not the 4 on the right)

Do you have any other recommendations?

You stated that 4 pads on the right don't work, AND replacing it with a new sheet didn't solve the issue. I would think that culprit is on the ribbon connector, not pad sheet. Just one point of disconnection can make 4 pads unresponsive, because it is connected in matrix.
I don't know what's the best way to resolve issue, but the ribbon connector should be replaced with a new one, or try to clean the contacts in the connector.