Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By bjwolf33 Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:43 pm
In all the time I have had my mpc2000 classic, I have never been able to get it to boot up straight from zip. I've been fortunate that my floppy drive has been reliable (knock on wood) but I know it's just a matter of time. I format the zip in the mpc and then copy the operating system to the correct scsi. This always seems to work fine. Then, when I go to start it up, I pop the floppy out, flip it on and get "disk read error!". It does not seem like this should be so difficult. Any help is appreciated.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Did you try this?

If yes, did you try other zip disks?
Are the correct files in the ROOT of the zip disk, not in a folder, not zipped up?

By peterpiper Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm
^^ No he couldn't follow this instructions cause he has a 2000 classic. The disk menu is different (at least the 1.72 version that I have). There are also no folders just partitions and the OS is always copied to the first partition AFAIK :)

It sounds like you did everything the correct way. Since you formatted the ZipDisc the drive seem to work. You copied the OS with the function under SAVE (Type: Copy Operating system) from floppy to Zip, right?
It should boot from the Zip as long as there is no floppy inserted. But yes, I would try another Zipdisc.

Also try the following
1. Boot from floppy
2. Sample something
3. Save to Zip

then turn off the machine and boot again from floppy and try to load from Zip. If this works then....... ??? IDK, sorry

peace
By bjwolf33 Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 am
Yes. MPC Classic. This section is different in the manual. Basically, it says that, once the os is saved on the zip, the machine will cycle through drives and find what it needs. I use the zips all the time to save work. I have tried new disks and disks that I know that work fine. I am removing any floppy from it's drive. I get a "disk read error" message every time and have for years. I have to be missing something. There has to be 2000 Classic users who run the operating system straight from a zip drive. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Last edited by bjwolf33 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bjwolf33 Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:30 am
The only thing I have noticed is that the order of the 2 files (exe & sys) are reversed. One the floppy it's sys then exe. Zip vice versa. I wouldn't know how to fix this cause you don't choose the order files are saved. Not even sure that's the issue.
By NearTao Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:01 am
On these older file systems, the order of the files is typically based on the date. If you change either the create date, or modified date, you should be able to change the order. Though frankly, this should not make a difference.