Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
ByAnon47934 Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 pm
I don't know much about older mpc devices, such as this, but I will explain the best I can. I had bought the 2000xl, it had 32mb maxed-memory, version was 1.14c, and all worked well. But the device had an average CF Card-reader along with it, so when I had put the CF card in and expected an ATAPI option to show, it didn't. What showed was the error "No floppy device!", and this was confusing since my device had no floppy drive installed, only the CF. I had read some other forums trying to fix this, 'no atapi found' problem, and some good advice was given along with it. I believed the version was out of date, thinking 1.14 didn't have the atapi option, so I updated using a floppy drive I bought, and floppy disk w/ 1.20 on it. I tried updating, and it seemed to work, but when I put back the CF reader, no use! This problem is still going, and idk if I'm doing something wrong on my end or what, I just need advice to fix this mess.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 pm
Maybe there is a jumper on the reader that is not set correctly.

Maybe the ribbon is not 100%.

ByAnon47934 Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 pm
Lampdog wrote:Maybe there is a jumper on the reader that is not set correctly.

Maybe the ribbon is not 100%.

The ribbon is fully-clicked in to the atapi slot, and the jumper too on the cf reader seems fine. :|
By richie Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:26 pm
If you are still unable to use the CF card reader with 1.20 then it either points to:

- Type of CF card you are using. It is best to use earlier CF I based cards as they have their active bit enabled. (I explained this in much more detail in other threads.
- Your CF card reader isn't wired correctly.
ByAnon47934 Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 am
richie wrote:If you are still unable to use the CF card reader with 1.20 then it either points to:

- Type of CF card you are using. It is best to use earlier CF I based cards as they have their active bit enabled. (I explained this in much more detail in other threads.
- Your CF card reader isn't wired correctly.

Thanks for the elaboration, the CF card reader could be the problem, but shouldn't the ATAPI option show up no matter what on the MPC? Cause the device still detects floppy even though no floppy device is installed & the green light is active. (Next link is an idea of what reader I have, OC from another thread)

https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.media ... yx31zg.jpg
By richie Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 am
jpow wrote:Thanks for the elaboration, the CF card reader could be the problem, but shouldn't the ATAPI option show up no matter what on the MPC? Cause the device still detects floppy even though no floppy device is installed & the green light is active. (Next link is an idea of what reader I have, OC from another thread)

https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.media ... yx31zg.jpg

If you have the reader that I think you do, you should have been able to utilize it with 1.14

I believe there were certain revisions of that very card reader that had issues with the XL. But before I go deep into that thought could you show the top part of it, so that I can see what the board looks like?
ByAnon47934 Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:26 am
richie wrote:
jpow wrote:
If you have the reader that I think you do, you should have been able to utilize it with 1.14

I believe there were certain revisions of that very card reader that had issues with the XL. But before I go deep into that thought could you show the top part of it, so that I can see what the board looks like?

2KXL Board (Back Side of the board for ease of show) (OG pic from earlier not mine)
ByAnon47934 Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 am
Alright I think that's the final conclusion, I gotta get myself a new card reader, it isn't being detected any other way. Thanks for helping guys, idk if this thread could be deleted/locked but I got my answer.
By richie Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm
That card reader you have pictured is the higher end one that should work with 1.14

I do notice that you're not using the default power connector for the drive.

Do you happen to have the original power connector cable for the floppy drive? It'll work with that reader you have pictured.

I some how suspect the reason why the XL isn't seeing the card reader is due to power.

Also, remove the dip pin on the right side and see if it yields any difference.
ByAnon47934 Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am
Sadly, no yield, Idk if my IDE/ATAPI slot is dead or what. I hear floppy drive emu's are an alternative but kinda bummed this problem consists, don't newer readers make workflow faster? :?
By richie Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:53 am
richie wrote:Do you happen to have the original power connector cable for the floppy drive? It'll work with that reader you have pictured.

I some how suspect the reason why the XL isn't seeing the card reader is due to power.

You should try to confirm / respond to the questions asked man.

Secondly, a floppy emulator would be a poor purchase to make when it costs more and provides no advantage to the workflow.

If you're thinking the IDE slot is screwed up, purchase another cheap Compact Flash IDE card reader. "Newer" readers for sale don't make the workflow "faster" at all.

If you don't want to find answers to that, then purchase a SCSI2SD and utilize the internal SCSI connector.

https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCS ... -black.htm
By Venture Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Hey I’m a bit late but I have a very similar problem and I haven’t found an answer in the forum yet. My Zip drive was working on the atapi then I downgraded to 1.14 from 1.20 by accident. After that it didn’t detect any atapi only floppy and scsi. I bought a cable for an external Zip drive but when connected the mpc 2000xl freezes on wait...
now I don’t know what it is since I checked the jumper and the ribbon cable. :/ I am running out of ideas would mean a lot if anyone has any advice.
Much love