Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By s1k Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:27 am
I am having difficulty in setting up my Glyph external cdrom drive to my mpc. I have set the cdrom's device number to everything except 6, which is the mpc's device number. I still get a message that says "no scsi device!". I have heard that scsi fuses sometimes go out on the mpc. Could it be that? Or is the problem probably with the Glyph drive, even though it is compatable with the MPC, maybe it's broken? Any and all suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Mddl Fngr Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:39 am
I also use the Glyph CD-rom drive. My SCSI ID # is 4. The only time my MP says SCSI not ready is (and i hate to state the obvious) when the powers not on, or when there's media in the drive thats not MPC format.

Hope I helped.

By s1k Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:20 pm
Thanks. The message I get is not that "SCSI is not ready". I get the message "NO SCSI DEVICE!". I turn the MPC on first, and then the GLYPH drive. I have tried turning on and off the drive to surge for recognition. The discs I have are in AKAI format. Anyone else, please?

By jaemac21 Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:02 am
The SCSI sc-rom drive has to be turned on first then the MPC. THe mpc does a search for all drives on all scis id #'s (just like PC's do) if it doens't see anything then nothing will be available. Even if you turn it on later still can't see. Always make sure that the MPC can see all your drives so you don't have a saving problem later on if you forgot to turn on your zip drive.

By s1k Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:48 pm
I turned the cd-rom drive on first, and then the MPCXL. I still get the message, "NO SCSI DEVICE!". Is my problem with the MPC or the CD-ROM? Thanks...

By -{n8}- Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:05 am
Humm not too sure.. If you could test the CDROM on a computer with a SCSI Interface to see if there is a problem or try another SCSI device on the SCSI interface on the mpc. Hopefully it's you CDROM (or something is wrong in the chain of connection) rather than your mpc SCSI interface$$!$!

Good luck,

1-0ne

P.S did you ever disconnect a SCSI device from the SCSI interface while the mpc was still on? maybe by accident or something? That is pretty much the only way you'll blow a SCSI fuse. I don't mean to suggest that you did anything just pointing it out in case you did.

By s1k Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:26 pm
Thanks for the response. I am not sure if I disconnected the device from the MPC while it was in use or not. I know that I turned the power on and off a few times. Does anyone know what messages would show up, or how the MPC would look or act if the SCSI fuse was blown? In the meantime I just ordered a new CDROM drive in hopes that it will work...