Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
ByJimbo Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:53 am
I am going to undertake putting a zip100 and an internal HD in my MPC do i need to format the HD First, or can it do it and what size can i go to, the one i have is 540MB Also has anyone successfully done this? the reason i want to do this is i am sick of using poket 1.44mb floppys and i am sick of luggin around a mac external HD unit i figure hit two birds with one stone? i'm assuming also that the interface is the same as regular ide in pcs etc and can support two drives on each channel. :?:

By MPC-Tutor Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:06 am
No, there's only one IDE port inside, so it's one or the other I'm afraid :(

I've not tried installing an internal IDE hard drive before - I'm not sure how successful it will be. For a start, where you going to put it? There's just enough space for a zip drive. I'm not too sure the MPC can support IDE hard drives, but I may be wrong. There's also a SCSI port inside the MPC - again, dont know from first hand experience if this works well, but again, there's nowhere to put the thing!

ByJimbo Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:11 am
fairys muff, tell the truth i dont actually have one... YET i'm heeps keen and i have one on layby so i'll get in the next week or two. i;m pretty sure i read somewher eyou could hange ide drives off it, such as if you have an external zip you can use the slot from the floppy to place a 3.5inch hard disk, maybe it was on SCSI though who knows but thanks for telling me about the space thing it helps to know what kind of room there is inside it.
also waht does the 8 output board involve? a board with pins on one side and 8 sockets on the other?

By MPC-Tutor Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:20 pm
You might want to check out Mike's site - www.mpc2000xl.com for more info about internal drives and hooking up hard drives - he's experimented a lot more than I have.

Installing the 8 out is similar to installing a cd drive in a pc - push the connector ribbon is it's slot and that's about it.