Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JackBunyan Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:19 pm
Hi guys ive been using my mpc2000xl for a while now but i feel im missing something simple that could save me lots of time.

I always start by sampling melodic chops onto pad bank A. Then when adding drums onto pad bank B i have to manually assign the samples to each pad.

I want to create banks of drums (16) that i can add onto pad bank B C or D so that i dont have to manually do it.

I tried this and it always assigns my program (bank of drums) onto pad bank A and overwrites the melodic sample chops that are already there.

Can someone tell me the best way to go about adding in banks of drums AFTER sampling without overwriting and having to manually re-assign everything

Thanks ! :D
By Afferbeck Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:14 pm
You can't load a program and merge banks of it into an existing one in memory. Using Load instead of Clear (you obviously don't want to Clear what you've got) It will just add another program to the list (up to 24) you can scroll through to assign to Drum 1-4. It won't alter or remove the program you're working with.

So you need to load in the new drums program, with Load, not Clear. You should name your programs so it's not all 1-NewPgm-A and 2-NewPgm-A or whatever and confuses you. Loading in a new program will 'steal' the Drum 1 slot, but your existing program will still be in memory, so you can then just go and set your Drum 1 to your existing chops program, and your Drum 2 to the new drums program.
By JackBunyan Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:19 pm
Afferbeck wrote:You can't load a program and merge banks of it into an existing one in memory. Using Load instead of Clear (you obviously don't want to Clear what you've got) It will just add another program to the list (up to 24) you can scroll through to assign to Drum 1-4. It won't alter or remove the program you're working with.

So you need to load in the new drums program, with Load, not Clear. You should name your programs so it's not all 1-NewPgm-A and 2-NewPgm-A or whatever and confuses you. Loading in a new program will 'steal' the Drum 1 slot, but your existing program will still be in memory, so you can then just go and set your Drum 1 to your existing chops program, and your Drum 2 to the new drums program.

This is exactly what i was after thank you :) was getting mixed up between programs and banks. Also the fact that the new program 'steals' the drum 1 slot had me thinking the old chops were gone.

Thanks again :D