Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By loudmusic Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 am
Is one better than the other?

I've read that the 2000XL can only handle up to certain speeds with CF cards so would there be any drawbacks to using SD instead?

Thanks
By CharlesRandolph Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 am
loudmusic wrote:Is one better than the other?

I've read that the 2000XL can only handle up to certain speeds with CF cards so would there be any drawbacks to using SD instead?

Thanks

In the long run I would stick with SD cards, they're cheaper and are universally available.
By loudmusic Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:34 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:

Thanks

In the long run I would stick with SD cards, they're cheaper and are universally available.

Thanks. I see people selling the CF cards for like $15+ lol. It's weird seeing somewhat of a technological relic go for that much.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 am
loudmusic wrote:

Thanks. I see people selling the CF cards for like $15+ lol. It's weird seeing somewhat of a technological relic go for that much.[/quote]

Yes, the price for the amount of storage is silly. I suggest to stick with SD card.
By richie Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks

Both CF and SD use the same internal nand memory standards The difference is the form factor and a couple other caveats depending on the age and the intended use.

Depending on the IDE card reader you may have, you could always get a SD to CF card adapter for about $10 and then use a newly produced SD or micro SD (with the SD adapter). Some IDE card readers (the cheaper ones that go for $5-25 may have trouble reading the newer cards though.)

For the 2000XL, You're not going to get faster speeds choosing one over the other as you're still going to be bottle necked from the speed of the bus the card reader is connected to.

For the 2000XL, get the SCSI2SD already. It's only mentioned in every thread that talks about this.