Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By en2 Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:09 am
i sampled a couple of different samples and when i tried to get the bpm, it just said ------ (where i have gotten the bpm for other samples), this sucks cause i dont know the bpm that i need to set for the drums...please help

en2

By MPC-Tutor Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:25 am
Have you set the sample loop to 'ON'?

BPM

By mullethed Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:49 pm
is there a tutorial for the bpm / timestretch function - I dont get this function and would like to know how to use it fully, though from what I do get it takes some practice and Id like some points on how to get it "just right" in a short space of time.

- while Im here, anyone know any hiphop that clocks in at 96BPM?? Im amakin a beat for a friend and he wants the tempo set to that, and I find it sounds way too fast for my stoner ears to handle. - names etc would be very much appreciated.

cheers peeps

tha m* :D

By brainwashcloth Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:09 pm
i make some hiphop beats at 93bpm. if it sounds too fast then unclutter your beat a little. take away the constant stream of 16th note (or faster) hihats, and replace them with sparse syncopated 8th note hats that double up at 16th notes once or twice. take some of the kicks that are back to back out. strip it down one sound at a time until you find just the drum hits that you need to make the groove. i cant give you any specifics because i don't listen to alot of current hiphop, but i can tell you 96 isnt that fast. sometimes 1 or 2 bpms can make a huge difference though, so play you beat at adjust the tempo with the scroll wheel til you fell the groove come together just right.
By en2 Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:14 pm
yea the sample loop is set to on....please I want to use this sample....thanks

peace,
en2

By brainwashcloth Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:22 pm
on the loop screen have you set the start and end points for the sample? not just in the trim screen. i think i have had that cause that problem for me before when i didnt have the loop zone defined.

other than that, can you play your sample and use tap tempo to find the tempo? or do it the oldschool way and put it on 1:1:1 on a new 1 bar sequence that is set to LOOP and simply adjust the sequence tempo (as it plays) until it loops correctly. then you will have the bpm to use.