Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By introesp Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:20 am
Hi all,

I've decided to crack open my MPC 2000 Classic and give it an internal Compact Flash card reader upgrade. I've found lots of threads but I see lots of mixed advice. Was hoping to make a clean how-to thread, then I'll make a how-to video for future MPC owners to use. This would be a guide only for the MPC 2000 Classic not the MPC 2000 XL.

1) From my understanding, the easiest way is to use the external 25-pin SCSI port, plug in a 25-pin male ribbon cable, and drape in back inside the MPC 2000 classic, correct?

2) Then use a 25-pin female SCSI to 50-pin male SCSI adapter

3) Then plug a CF card reader (easily found on eBay) with 50-pin female SCSI into the adapter?

This may be completely wrong, but I wanted to get the ball rolling and course correct before I made a step by step video.

*I also saw some guides saying you can use the internal SMPTE slot and use an adapter to make it into a 25-pin SCSI, but I'm not sure how that works.

Any guidance from you experts would be super appreciated. Looking forward to making this how-to guide. Thanks :)

Below are photos of what I have so far.

By JVC Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 pm
I have installed a SCSI CF reader into MPC-2000 classic. If you search MPC Forums, you should be able to find it. However it was long time ago (about 10 years ago, I think!), so linked pics are gone... I think your way should work fine.
Looks like your MPC unit is upgraded with 8 out board and SMPTE expansion. If you are not going to use SMPTE, then you can remove the two 1/4' jacks from the back panel and use the hole for SCSI ribbon cable.
By ArtyGZ Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:05 pm
I'm planning to do the exact same thing as I found the right cable for very cheap. My main concern tho is getting the scsi2sd board the power it needs to work.
For now I think I'll use the SMPTE opening on the back to power it via USB as I want to use my floppy emulator still (super easy to use and actually reads folders). Also I don't want to take risks with the motherboard by soldering cables to a 5v or whatever bus on the power supply.

Let us know if it works! :)
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm
ArtyGZ wrote:I'm planning to do the exact same thing as I found the right cable for very cheap. My main concern tho is getting the scsi2sd board the power it needs to work.
For now I think I'll use the SMPTE opening on the back to power it via USB as I want to use my floppy emulator still (super easy to use and actually reads folders). Also I don't want to take risks with the motherboard by soldering cables to a 5v or whatever bus on the power supply.

The floppy emulator is the way to go.
By JVC Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:58 am
ArtyGZ wrote:I'm planning to do the exact same thing as I found the right cable for very cheap. My main concern tho is getting the scsi2sd board the power it needs to work.

You can get both 5VDC and 12VDC from the MOLEX connector for floppy drive. There is no need to get 5VDC from outside, like from USB wall charger. Just make a adapter cable.
By richie Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am
All you'd need is that DB25 connector that you have on the outside and an hd50 internal. You'll have to splice the connector but it'll be fine.

There should be enough power in the bus to power the SCSI2SD without the need of an external power supply. But if needed, you can easily find the voltage you need inside.