Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By liddokun Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:13 am
I have an MPC2000XL which I'm having a number of issues with.

I had to replace the sensor pad ribbon cable connector. While reinstalling the sensor pad ribbon cable, I very dumbly had the unit powered on. The plate under the sensors shifted a bit and I'm 100% sure shorted something on the top circuit board.

Anyways, things started to smoke due to the R1 resistor completely burning up. I have replaced that resistor, but now the only thing that happens when powered on is all the LEDs and the LCD screen blink on and off at the same time, endlessly. I have attached a video to demonstrate. Has anyone ever come across this issue?

By richie Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:30 am
If you disconnect the top board to the mainboard and turn it on, do you see anything on the screen?
By liddokun Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 am
Same issues when I disconnect the mainboard and top board.

I'm starting to think it's an issue with the power supply circuit, it's kind of alternating on and off. I think I'll need to start measuring voltages there and see what goes on.
By liddokun Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:04 pm
Update: it is indeed an issue with the power supply; the output voltages are cycling between high and low.

The PSU doesn't appear in the schematic for MPC2000XL because it's sourced by a different manufacturer, so I'm going to contact the PSU manufacter to see if I can figure out what's going on.
By liddokun Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:17 pm
SOLVED: I swapped out a new power supply and this solved the issue.

For anyone encountering this issue, get a multimeter and measure the voltages being outputted by the power circuit. Mine were outputting the wrong voltages and fluctuating up and down.

The power supply in the MPC2000XL is oem from a different manufacturer, funnily enough, called Skynet.

You can get a direct exact replacement in North America from Sager Electronics for $25USD, plus shipping. SNP-9541-M
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:33 pm
Thanks for sharing an update, I'm glad that you got it resolved !
By liddokun Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 am
Always bugged me when I encounter forum threads with issues similar to ones I'm having but the OP never came back to post if they found a solution! Just trying to do my part!
By richie Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am
liddokun wrote:Always bugged me when I encounter forum threads with issues similar to ones I'm having but the OP never came back to post if they found a solution! Just trying to do my part!

I totally missed responding to the previous post I left to you so my apologies for that.

And yeah I totally get where you're coming from.
By agt415 Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:40 am
I had this exact same thing. Glad its recent and you found a solution. gonna try it. my dumbass replaced a tact switch while it was hooked up. Damn. not my day to fix stuff. thnx again
By liddokun Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm
@agt415 I hope you got it fixed. MPC Stuff sells the exact same power supply for something like $90.

I called my local distributor (Sager Electronics) and they had one shipped to me in under a week for $35).

Good thing too, I was really feeling too lazy to rebuild the power supply!