Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Kelly Green Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 am
JVC wrote:
JackBunyan wrote:Hi guys, been loving my mpc 2000xl for years and think its time for a few upgrades. I am looking to install the EB16fx board and possibly the USB floppy emulator.

I strongly recommend CF reader over USB floppy emulator. Startech CF reader is quite affordable, in the US, at least.

(StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE))

It is non-swappable, but data transfer and backup would be so much easier then using USB floppy emulator, which would require a special software to manage data on Windows.

For me, it's been working very well for years, and I definitely don't want to use USB floppy emulator. If you are using 2000 classic, I can understand it, since there isn't a lot of storage options... (it was the main reason I moved on to 2000XL from 2000 classic.)

HOWEVER, I do understand if all do is just sequencing on XL and never use it as sampler, then I see that some people decided to use USB floppy emulator.

JackBunyan wrote:If anyone in uk knows of how to get these items cheaper than ebay etc then please let me know !
Also if anyone knows of any way (no matter how expensive) to allow my MPC2000xl to step sequence then please let me know, this is the only thing i wish it had !

Umm... 2000XL is not a step sequencer. I'd just get Arturia Beat Step Pro (I want it!), and sync with XL.

Hi, I recently got the StarTech CF reader, but there are holes in it. Does anyone know how I can mount it inside of the MPC2000XL?

By the way, since the floppy and ATAPI slot is different in the MPC2000XL, does that mean I can connect both the floppy reader as well as the CF card reader in the MPC2000XL at the same time?

Please help me, I'm really stressing to mount the StarTech CF card reader into my MPC2000XL.
By JVC Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 pm
Kelly Green wrote:Hi, I recently got the StarTech CF reader, but there are holes in it. Does anyone know how I can mount it inside of the MPC2000XL?

You have to drill two holes to mount in XL. Refer to this thread:
https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140216&start=405

Kelly Green wrote:By the way, since the floppy and ATAPI slot is different in the MPC2000XL, does that mean I can connect both the floppy reader as well as the CF card reader in the MPC2000XL at the same time?

Strangely, XL does not accept floppy drive and IDE device connected at same time. At boot, XL checks if IDE or floppy drive is connected. Once IDE device is recognized at boot, you cannot even select floppy on Load / Save mode.
If you have data for XL on floppies, the best way to copy data from floppy is to use Windows XP (or order Windows) computer to save all the data to your Windows PC, then copy files to CF card.