Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 am
I know people with that on 2kxl and ASR-10. Works well they say. Cool.
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:I don't agree with that statement at all. Some people use the MPC 2000XL for midi and saving midi data so you don't need 64gig CF or SD card. Some don't need more than 1.44 mb of sounds to create, and they don't want to use floppy anymore. So it really depends on what they want to do and how they work.

I really wish you'd proof read before hitting submit.

The cost of a stock Gotek Floppy emulator is the same price as a Startech IDE CF card reader.

Providing a justification to pay the same price to do less with your machine will never make sense to anyone.
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:53 am
Lampdog wrote:richie wasn't being serious. richie is a sarcastic (I am too btw) but very helpful muhfucca imo.

Nah, I legitimately know for certain that you are mentally retarded to choose a Gotek over a card reader in an XL.

Read above and previous statements I've made in this thread for any clarification.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:59 pm
richie wrote:
I really wish you'd proof read before hitting submit.

The cost of a stock Gotek Floppy emulator is the same price as a Startech IDE CF card reader.

Providing a justification to pay the same price to do less with your machine will never make sense to anyone.

Is the Startech IDE CF card reader hot swappable?
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Is the Startech IDE CF card reader hot swappable?

The Startech IDE CF card reader is not hot swappable as it operates as an IDE pass thru essentially having the XL think it has a hard drive installed.

The card itself can however be removed with the unit off and read on both PC and MAC without issues due to the XL formatting the card to FAT.

If you are looking for hot swap, the best route cost and option wise is to get a SCSI2SD. It'll cost you about $75 shipped.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm
richie wrote:
The Startech IDE CF card reader is not hot swappable as it operates as an IDE pass thru essentially having the XL think it has a hard drive installed.

The card itself can however be removed with the unit off and read on both PC and MAC without issues due to the XL formatting the card to FAT.

If you are looking for hot swap, the best route cost and option wise is to get a SCSI2SD. It'll cost you about $75 shipped.

Yup and that's why I didn't buy another Startech IDE CF card reader.

By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:47 pm
Are you still trying to push that you made the better choice than what I am advising?
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:55 pm
richie wrote:Are you still trying to push that you made the better choice than what I am advising?

I made a choice based on my what I wanted and how I use the machine. Which is MIDI as I stated in my post.

CharlesRandolph wrote:I don't agree with that statement at all. Some people use the MPC 2000XL for midi and saving midi data so you don't need 64gig CF or SD card. Some don't need more than 1.44 mb of sounds to create, and they don't want to use floppy anymore. So it really depends on what they want to do and how they work.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JVC Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm
JackBunyan wrote:Hi guys, been loving my mpc 2000xl for years and think its time for a few upgrades. I am looking to install the EB16fx board and possibly the USB floppy emulator.

I strongly recommend CF reader over USB floppy emulator. Startech CF reader is quite affordable, in the US, at least.

(StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE))

It is non-swappable, but data transfer and backup would be so much easier then using USB floppy emulator, which would require a special software to manage data on Windows.

For me, it's been working very well for years, and I definitely don't want to use USB floppy emulator. If you are using 2000 classic, I can understand it, since there isn't a lot of storage options... (it was the main reason I moved on to 2000XL from 2000 classic.)

HOWEVER, I do understand if all do is just sequencing on XL and never use it as sampler, then I see that some people decided to use USB floppy emulator.

JackBunyan wrote:If anyone in uk knows of how to get these items cheaper than ebay etc then please let me know !
Also if anyone knows of any way (no matter how expensive) to allow my MPC2000xl to step sequence then please let me know, this is the only thing i wish it had !

Umm... 2000XL is not a step sequencer. I'd just get Arturia Beat Step Pro (I want it!), and sync with XL.
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I made a choice based on my what I wanted and how I use the machine. Which is MIDI as I stated in my post.

So you want the ability to hot swap a thumb drive with an inferior format because of "MIDI"

Okay, got it.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm
richie wrote:
So you want the ability to hot swap a thumb drive with an inferior format because of "MIDI"

Okay, got it.

I use it for MIDI, I don't need it for anything else. If I did use sample in the machine, I track out all my music to stems anyway. So for me I know exactly what I need. I didn't agree with you calling a person a retard, not on the choice of storage mediums.
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:18 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote: I didn't agree with you calling a person a retard, not on the choice of storage mediums.

Yeah I suppose I could have used other pejorative terms such as stupid head, dummy, moron, etc.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 pm
richie wrote:
Lampdog wrote:richie wasn't being serious. richie is a sarcastic (I am too btw) but very helpful muhfucca imo.

Nah, I legitimately know for certain that you are mentally retarded to choose a Gotek over a card reader in an XL.

First thing I did was get an atapi (hot swap) mcd for my 2kxl. It was one of the best decisions ever for my 2kxl. Floppy emulator wasn't even a consideration. MCD more flexible/capable imo.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm
Lampdog wrote:First thing I did was get an atapi (hot swap) mcd for my 2kxl. It was one of the best decisions ever for my 2kxl. Floppy emulator wasn't even a consideration. MCD more flexible/capable imo.

I agree, I just didn't need it. Because in these times, the MPC 2000XL is only used for midi and basic sequencing. I really don't need it the MPC 200XL, but I allowed myself to keep one machine that has sentimental value to me.